Tinubu vows to proceed on Qatar trip despite rejection of business summit

Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has insisted that President Bola Tinubu will proceed with his planned visit to Qatar, refusing to comment on a Note Verbale, where Qatari authorities communicated their unwillingness to welcome the Nigerian leader on the scheduled date.
Francisca Omayuli, the ministry’s spokesperson, released a statement on Saturday that read, “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms the forthcoming visit by His Excellency President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to the State of Qatar on 2-3 March, as scheduled.”
The foreign affairs minister, Yusuf Tuggar, said Qatar and Nigeria are strong allies with a “long history of friendship and close bilateral relations,” adding that
Mr Tinubu’s upcoming visit to Doha “will help build on this important relationship.”
The ministry, according to Ms Omayuli, was aware that the diplomatic memo expressing Qatar’s unwillingness to host the Nigerian leader had been leaked to the media, but it would not comment on “leaks.”
“The Ministry is aware of the circulation in the media of diplomatic correspondence and wishes to confirm that it will not comment on leaks,” the spokesperson said.
Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that the Qatari government rejected Mr Tinubu’s proposed visit for a business parley on March 2 and 3 because the nation’s commerce minister would be outside the country on the days the Nigerian leader intended to visit.
Qatari authorities in the Note Verbale also stated that they had no signed agreement with Nigeria on investment promotion and protection.
“The embassy has the honour to inform that the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in Qatar apologises that it will not be able to hold a business and investment forum as proposed by the Nigerian side,” the Note Verbale sent by the Qatari government to the Nigerian government on Thursday stated.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.






