Thursday, September 29, 2022

Troops rescue three more Chibok girls as 79,000 insurgents surrender

Falmata Lawan, Asabe Ali and Jinkal Yama, were rescued separately on August 30, September 1 and September 2 respectively.

• September 10, 2022
Theatre Commander, North East “Operation Hadin Kai”, Christopher Musa
Theatre Commander, North East “Operation Hadin Kai”, Christopher Musa [Photo Credit: The Eagle Online]

The Theatre Commander, North East “Operation Hadin Kai”, Christopher Musa, said over 79,000 insurgents comprising combatants and non combatants have so far surrendered.

Mr Musa made this known in Maiduguri while briefing journalists on the successes of the command, saying the military’s kinetic and non-kinetic strategy led to the mass surrender.

He said this has led to having additional camps in Maiduguri to host the repentant terrorists being sorted out to identify the combatants from the non-combatants.

He lauded the public’s support, saying “We are really happy with the way the members of the public were cooperating with us; they see the sincerity in what we are doing.

“We are committed to the human rights charter and the rules of engagement in our operations,” Mr Musa added.

Also speaking, the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division, Maiduguri, Waidi Shuaibu, said that within the period under review, three more Chibok girls were also rescued.

Mr Shuaibu said the girls rescued comprised Falmata Lawan, Asabe Ali and Jinkal Yama, who are on serial number three, 12 and 20, respectively on the list of abducted Chibok girls.

The girls were rescued separately in the Bama axis on August 30, September 1 and September 2 respectively.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Queen Elizabeth II

Hot news Home top

FLASH: Cause of Queen Elizabeth’s death revealed 

National Records of Scotland on Thursday published an extract from The Queen’s death certificate.

Court room

Rights

Court orders divorce-seeking wife to return husband’s N85,000, other gifts

Judge Mohammed Jibril, who gave the order, also ordered Ms Abdulmalik to return the unsewn wrappers he bought her as gifts.

Qatar World Cup

Sport

Qatar says COVID-19 test compulsory for visiting World Cup fans

Qatar has recorded more than 440,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 692 deaths from the virus.

Professor-Ibrahim-Wushishi and NECO

Education

NECO releases SSCE results, says 70% passed Maths, English

Mr Wushishi said that 13,594 candidates were involved in various forms of malpractice in 2022, representing 0.13 per cent.

UN tribunal

Africa

UN tribunal begins trial of Rwandan genocide suspect despite boycott

The judges said that the hearing must go on in spite of the suspect’s decision to boycott it from his jail cell.

Heading 1

2023 Election: APC’s Tinubu missing as presidential candidates sign peace accord in Abuja

The initiative was inspired by the wanton sectarian killings that trailed the 2011 presidential election where incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari lost to then-President Goodluck Jonathan.