Trump calls off planned U.S. attack on Iran

President Donald Trump says he has suspended a planned United States military attack on Iran following appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Mr Trump said in a post on the Truth Social platform that the strike, scheduled for Tuesday, was called off as “serious negotiations are now taking place”.
“Based on my respect for the above-mentioned leaders, I have instructed the secretary of war, Pete Hegseth, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and the United States military that we will not be doing the scheduled attack on Iran tomorrow,” Mr Trump said on Monday.
He said the Gulf leaders believed a deal “very acceptable” to the U.S. and countries in the Middle East could be reached.
“This deal will include, importantly, no nuclear weapons for Iran,” Mr Trump insisted.
The president, however, said he had instructed Messrs Hegseth, Caine, and the U.S. military to prepare for “a full, large-scale assault of Iran on a moment’s notice” if no acceptable deal is reached.
His announcement came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran’s response to the U.S. proposal had been “conveyed to the American side through Pakistan”—a key mediator in the Iran war.
Both countries agreed to a ceasefire on April 8 to allow negotiations to end the war, but no agreement has been reached, even though Iran and the U.S. have exchanged proposals.
“For Iran, clock is ticking, and they better get moving fast, or there won’t be anything left of them,” Mr Trump threatened on Sunday, days after saying the Islamic Republic was on “massive life support” and describing its demands as “totally unacceptable”.
Among its demands, Iran seeks an end to all hostilities, the lifting of the U.S. blockade on its ports, compensation for war-related damages, and full control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Tehran closed the Strait of Hormuz again on April 18, less than 24 hours after reopening it, citing the U.S.’s continued blockade of its ports.
Since the war in Iran began on February 28, global oil supply has been disrupted amid the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical route for crude oil shipments.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






