Trump vows U.S. will hit Iran ‘very hard tonight’

President Donald Trump on Thursday said the United States of America will hit Iran “very hard tonight” as the two countries continue airstrikes and missile attacks in the Middle East.
“The United States will be hitting Iran (whose navy, air force, radar, anti-aircraft, and all other forms of defence, together with most of its offensive capability, are gone!) very hard tonight,” Mr Trump said in a post on his Truth Social platform.
Mr Trump also threatened that the U.S. would soon seize control of Kharg Island and Iran’s oil infrastructure.
He compared the idea of taking control of Iran’s oil sector to U.S. actions in Venezuela following the capture of President Nicolás Maduro.
“At some point in the not-too-distant future, we will be taking Kharg Island and other oil infrastructure points, and assume total control of their oil and gas markets, much like we have with Venezuela, which is working out brilliantly for both Venezuela and the United States of America,” he stated.
Mr Trump’s latest threats come as both countries continue to trade attacks following the downing of a U.S. Army Apache helicopter over the Strait of Hormuz earlier this week.
In response to the shootdown of the helicopter, Mr Trump said the U.S. “must, of necessity, respond to this attack.”
The development led to a series of strikes on Iranian military infrastructure, which U.S. officials described as “self-defence.”
The Iranian state media reported explosions in several port cities along the southern coast, while Tehran targeted U.S. military assets in Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan.
Iran announced the full closure of the Strait of Hormuz to shipping.
Mr Trump on Wednesday accused Iran’s leadership of violating the April 8 ceasefire, calling it “the most violated ceasefire in the history of the world,” while Tehran also said the ceasefire had been rendered “practically meaningless.”
Both countries agreed to a ceasefire to allow negotiations to end the war, but no agreement has been reached.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling
A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.






