Tunde Lemo, Cornelis Vink, other Titan Trust executives shun Tinubu’s anti-graft czar as he lacks power to summon them

Jim Obazee, President Tinubu’s man probing the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN), has met resistance from Babatunde Lemo and other C-suite officials of Titan Trust Bank (TTB) Ltd amid growing concerns about the special investigator’s authority to summon targets of his probe.
Mr Lemo, Titan Trust’s chairman, and Cornelis Vink, its chief executive, had been invited to appear on December 28, 2023, to respond to relevant queries about Titan Trust’s questionable acquisition of Union Bank of Nigeria.
Mr Obazee said his office determined ex-CBN governor Godwin Emefiele used Mr Lemo and others as proxies to set up Titan Trust Bank, which then acquired Union Bank, one of the largest legacy financial institutions in Nigeria.
Mr Obazee said the bankers agreed to honour the invitation but tried to back out at the last minute. He said he would not extend the invitation, and threatened to confiscate Union Bank and other assets of Titan Trust. The investigator has also targeted Rahul Savara, another executive of Titan Trust, as part of the allegations that state funds via CBN under Mr Emefiele were used to secure the assets.
Mr Obazee has faced challenges in getting Mr Lemo, a former CBN deputy governor, and others because he lacks the power to compel the cooperation of suspects in his criminal investigation, Peoples Gazette heard.
The special investigator, who was previously found culpable in a civil sexual assault case, was appointed in late March by Mr Tinubu with a focus on financial mismanagement at CBN under Mr Emefiele as the primary focus.
However, he was not granted prosecutorial sovereignty as required by the Nigerian Constitution. Unlike the police, EFCC, ICPC and other agencies with state or federal statutes to prosecute, Mr Obazee was only appointed on an ad-hoc basis and did not receive a fiat to bring charges from the attorney general’s office.
Mr Obazee also did not approach federal courts to obtain subpoenas for targets like Messrs Lemo and Vink, The Gazette was told. Mr Lemo’s lawyer, Gbolahan Elias, declined comments about whether or not his client received any court order to appear for questioning before Mr Obazee.
Mr Obazee told The Gazette he received his investigative authority from the president but did not elaborate on the nature thereof.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.Â

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in SokotoÂ
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.Â

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.Â

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.Â






