Twitter ban: Reps committee renews call for social media regulation

The House of Representatives Committee on Information on Wednesday threw its support behind the Buhari regime’s ban on Twitter, saying regulation of social media should have been applied way before the current saga.
The committee said other considerations become inferior when national interest and security is involved.
The committee, which was mandated to investigate the federal government’s ban of Twitter operations in Nigeria, heard information minister Lai Mohammed in session on Tuesday.
The minister insisted, during the appearance, that the federal government’s ban on Twitter’s operations was in the country’s interest.
He cited various sections of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which he claimed backed the action of the government.
Representative Shaba Ibrahim (PDP-Kogi), a member of the committee, said that anything would pale into insignificance where national interest and security were at stake.
He said that the minister did a good rendition of the legal framework that supported the steps taken, adding that allowing such infractions by Twitter to go unchecked, until the President’s tweet was taken down, amounted to a disservice to the country.
Another committee member, Fatuhu Mohammed (APC-Katsina), called for the regulation of social media because the time had come for the country to face up to the real issues confronting it.
He added that if the Minister had not banned Twitter, with the permission of Mr Buhari, the kind of insults to the sovereignty of Nigeria, coming from its users, was worrisome.
Similarly, Representative Chinedu Ogah (APC-Ebonyi), also a member of the committee, stated that if the law regulating social media had been implemented, the activities of the micro-blogging site would have been checked.
“For example, in China, social media is being regulated and such a thing is not in Nigeria, and we have all those agencies that are capable of the regulation in the country,” he said.
Mr Mohammed said Abuja had begun talks with the micro-blogging site to resolve the matter, adding, however, that until then, the platform remained banned.
On June 4, the federal government placed a ban on the operations of Twitter, on the grounds that the social media platform was being used as a tool for destabilising the country.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 4
Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000
The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Diaspora
South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027
“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.

World
Ukraine’s ousted defence minister Fedorov demands fresh elections amid ongoing war with RussiaÂ
The eastern European country election was suspended primarily because of Russia’s full-scale invasion since February 2022.

Heading 5
U.S.-based Nigerian rapper MsJorji stirs fresh accusation as social media trends Poco Lee’s arrest in UK over alleged rape
MsJorji accused Poco Lee of assaulting her and a female friend at his residence in Dallas.

States
Soldiers rescue 14 kidnap victims, nab 16 suspects in Katsina operation
The military said the achievements were recorded during operations conducted between August 17 and 18.

States
Abuja man arraigned for allegedly stealing laptop worth N1.5 millionÂ
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.






