Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Two U.S. soldiers killed, four injured in Iran attack on Jordan

Two American soldiers were killed as U.S. and allied forces intercepted Iranian ballistic missiles and drones during an attack.

• July 18, 2026
U.S. Troops
U.S. Troops

Two United States service members were killed in Jordan as U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) and allied forces intercepted Iranian ballistic missiles and drones during an attack.

According to a statement by CENTCOM on Friday, four other U.S. service members were medically evacuated to hospitals in Jordan.

CENTCOM said all four have since been discharged, while other personnel treated for minor injuries have already returned to duty.

The military said it would not release the identities of the two service members until at least 24 hours after their next of kin had been formally notified.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Supreme Leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, warned the U.S. that it would face “unforgettable lessons” if the attacks continued.

“The repeated breaches of the agreement by the Great Satan [the US] regarding the MOU signed by the Presidents of Iran and the US have once again laid bare a fundamental truth: the signature of the US President is utterly worthless and devoid of credibility,” he wrote on X.

Mr Khamenei also dismissed an agreement bearing U.S. President Donald Trump’s signature as “worthless and invalid.”

“The dear nation, while maintaining its trust in dedicated officials in all three branches of government, whose efforts for the welfare and prosperity of the people are clearly evident, will remain vigilant and active in the arena to ensure the safety of Islamic Iran’s interests,” he said.

He added that a key priority was preserving national unity at all levels of society and government while safeguarding Iran’s dignity and independence, particularly in the face of the “criminal, cunning US enemy.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Cholera patients

Africa

EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR

The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

Doctors with the removed bladder stone

World

Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka

The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

Anti-Corruption

Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre

The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.