U.S. court grants Tinubu’s request opposing release of confidential records with FBI, CIA, others

The U.S. Court for the District of Columbia in Washington D.C. has granted President Bola Tinubu’s motion to intervene and oppose the release of his records held by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Central Intelligence Agency and other top U.S. security agencies, Peoples Gazette can report based on obtained court filings.
Judge Beryl A. Howell, on November 27, granted Mr Tinubu’s motion to intervene after deeming him to have met the four qualifying factors which include timeliness of the motion, applicant’s interest in the property which forms subject of action, “whether the applicant is so situated that the disposition of the action may as a practical matter impair or impede the applicant’s ability to protect that interest; and whether the applicant’s interest is adequately represented by existing parties.”
Adjudging Mr Tinubu to have met the four criteria, Ms Howell permitted the Nigerian leader to step in and protect his records from being released by the U.S. security agencies in response to a freedom of information request filed by Aaron Greenspan, owner of Plainsite, a website that promotes transparency and anti-corruption in public service. Mr Greenspan worked with Nigerian journalist David Hundeyin on the FOIA request.
“Tinubu’s intervention will thus have no disruptive effect, as he has intervened in time to follow any briefing schedule that will later be imposed,” Ms Howell ruled on Monday. “Second and third, Tinubu has a cognizable interest that may be impaired because the FOIA requests at issue pertain to information about him that would implicate his privacy interests.”
“Tinubu’s motion is GRANTED,” Ms Howell said on Monday noting that the court found the motion to intervene and incorporated memorandum to have satisfied all requirements.
FBI had previously announced it would turn over approximately 2500 pages of information on Mr Tinubu in its database in five batches of 500 pages every month starting October but Mr Tinubu pleaded with the Court that he would be “adversely affected” should the records be released.
Nigerians had hoped to better understand the background of their President shrouded in secrecy and trailed by decades-long controversies particularly the train of events that led to Mr Tinubu’s forfeiture of $460,000 — said to be proceeds of narcotics trafficking —to the U.S. government in 1993.
The records would have also clarified the name and date under which the Nigerian leader entered the U.S. and the nature of his activities on the foreign soil which have long been under contention.
Mr Greenspan’s attempts to urgently obtain Mr Tinubu’s records before the presidential electoral dispute was resolved by Nigeria’s Supreme Court were thwarted by Ms Howell last month after she ruled that the anti-corruption activist did not sufficiently justify his request for an urgent hearing to seek the expeditious release of the sought records against the need to protect Mr Tinubu’s interest.
Nevertheless, Ms Howell on Monday gave an order instructing Mr Tinubu to meet all deadlines as the matter proceeds.
“It is further ORDERED that Bola A. Tinubu will follow all deadlines set for the federal defendants in any scheduling orders, and endeavor in good faith to avoid duplicative briefing of arguments covered in the federal defendants’ briefs.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses
His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Economy
Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG
The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.






