U.S. envoy Michael Waltz launches ‘Trade Over Aid,’ says funds disbursement unsustainable

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Michael Waltz on Monday launched the “Trade Over Aid” initiative at the New York Stock Exchange, arguing that decades of development aid had set “dependency traps” for nations who ought to be self-reliant.
Mr Waltz said Washington was not abandoning its global commitments, drawing a distinction between humanitarian aid and development aid.
The U.S., according to Mr Waltz, will continue to provide humanitarian aid to countries in need but would shift its approach to development aid, which he said has been unproductive in yielding desired outcomes after many years.
“It’s a shift away from a model that measured success in dollars spent and how much money was going into the funnel, rather than in jobs and real lives changed on the back end,” Mr Waltz explained. “So, what we’re trying to do is focus on actual reductions in aid over time, and focus on jobs created, and focus on nations that are realising economic independence.”
He said schools across Africa and the Middle East still lacked basic infrastructure and supplies despite years of aid, arguing the approach had to change.
“So, depending on government aid for development, frankly, is simply unsustainable. It wasn’t ever made to last.”
He said the U.S. would work with other institutions such as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF) and UNICEF to create jobs and build capacity for nations previously benefitting from the development fund.
Trade Over Aid focuses on helping countries build self-sustaining economies through business and investment.
“At its core, this initiative comes down to a simple idea: nations should get into the business of doing business together,” Mr Waltz said.
Representatives from 35 countries including Kenya and Uganda attended the inaugural event.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
54-year-old Ibadan man arraigned for allegedly stealing five goats worth N300,000
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.

States
Lar leadership institute inaugurates planning committee
A committee has been inaugurated to oversee preparations for the formal launch of the Solomon and Mary Lar Institute for Leadership scheduled for October 27 in Abuja.

States
Troops capture alleged ISWAP terrorists, free kidnapped Cameroonian
Troops of Operation ‘HADIN KAI’ apprehended three suspected ISWAP terrorists, recovered weapons and rescued a Cameroonian national allegedly abducted by terrorists in Borno.

NationWide
Civil-military cooperation needed to defeat terrorists: Defence Chief
Defence chief Olufemi Oluyede says military strength alone cannot defeat terrorism without protecting civilians and building community trust.

Health
Consumer protection council seizes multimillion-naira expired products from Kano supermarket
A supermarket, SUFAYE Investment, has handed over damaged and expired products worth over N28 million to the Kano State Consumer Protection Council for disposal.

Showbiz
Ogogo: AGN urges actors to undergo regular medical check-ups
Nollywood actor Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan is battling stage four cancer, according to his daughter, Shakirat Taiwo. Ms Taiwo appeared in a video crying and begging for help.






