U.S. justice department to pay $138 million to sexual assault victims over FBI’s bungling of Larry Nassar case

The U.S. Department of Justice on Tuesday agreed to pay $138.7 million to 139 victims of sexual assault as compensation for the lacklustre manner in which the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) handled sexual abuse accusations against Lawrence Nassar, a former doctor on the American Gymnastics team.
The settlement deal was a form of admission by the DOJ that its laxity to take seriously the allegations raised in 2015 against Mr Nassar emboldened him to abuse more victims.
Hundreds of young ladies, including medal-winning gymnasts, had accused Mr Nassar of sexually abusing them under the guise of medical examination, but FBI officials, albeit aware, were reluctant to investigate the allegations, an internal report stated.
Acting Associate Attorney General Benjamin C. Mizer said that while the settlements “could not undo the harm” on the victims, they could give them the “critical support” needed to heal from the traumatic abusive experience.
“These allegations should have been taken seriously from the outset,” Mr Mizer said in reaction to the compensation. “While these settlements won’t undo the harm Nassar inflicted, our hope is that they will help give the victims of his crimes some of the critical support they need to continue healing.”
Mick Grewal, a lawyer who represented 44 abuse complainants, echoed Mr Mizer’s sentiments and asserted that “no amount of money” could fully restore what had been lost. He expressed optimism that the money would serve as a reminder to the DOJ not to take any sexual accusations lightly.
“These women were assaulted because of the F.B.I.’s failure, and there is no amount of money that will make them whole again,” Mr Grewal said. “Their goal with all this was to make sure that this never happens again.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Anti-Corruption
Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring
BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.

States
Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail
A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.

Politics
Nigerians will re-elect Tinubu in 2027 based on his records: APC Chieftain
Ishaku Yamawo, APC chairman in the Federal Capital Territory, says Nigerians will re-elect President Bola Tinubu in 2027 based on his administration’s recorded achievements.

Politics
Adeleke thanks supporters, pays tributes to Osun election violence victims
Governor Ademola Adeleke has thanked the Accord Party and supporters for his re-election in Saturday’s governorship poll in Osun.

Economy
Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says
“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

Politics
‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory
In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”






