UK court delays WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition to U.S.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition to the United States from Britain was put on hold on Tuesday after London’s High Court said America must provide assurances he would not face the death penalty.
American prosecutors seek to put Mr Assange, 52, on trial on 18 counts, all bar one under the Espionage Act, over WikiLeaks’ release of confidential U.S. military records and diplomatic cables.
After Britain gave the go-ahead for his extradition last year, Mr Assange’s lawyers in February launched a final attempt in the English court to challenge that decision.
In their written ruling, which Mr Assange’s wife, Stella, described as “utterly bizarre,” two senior judges provisionally permitted him to launch a full appeal against extradition on three grounds, but only if the U.S. failed to provide “satisfactory assurances” to the issues raised.
These were that Australian-born Assange arguably would not be entitled to rely on the First Amendment right to free speech as a non-U.S. national and, while none of the existing charges carried the death penalty, he could later face a capital offence such as treason, meaning it would be unlawful to extradite him.
Mr Assange’s lawyers had highlighted a comment by former U.S. President Donald Trump, who said in 2010, when discussing WikiLeaks, that “I think there should be like a death penalty or something,” the ruling said.
The judges invited the U.S. authorities to provide assurances on these matters, saying if they were not forthcoming by April 16, then Mr Assange would be granted permission to appeal.
However, they rejected his lawyers’ argument that the case was politically motivated or that he would not receive a fair trial.
They also said his accusation that CIA officials had planned to kidnap or murder him could not be considered should he be allowed an appeal.
A further hearing has been scheduled for May 20, and his extradition, which his campaign team said could have been imminent depending on the ruling, has been put on hold.
WikiLeaks first came to prominence in 2010 when it published a U.S. military video showing a 2007 attack by Apache helicopters in Baghdad that killed a dozen people, including two Reuters news staff.
It then released thousands of secret classified files and diplomatic cables that laid bare often highly critical U.S. appraisals of world leaders, which the U.S. said imperilled the lives of their agents.
Mr Assange’s many supporters hailed him as an anti-establishment hero who is being persecuted, despite being a journalist, for exposing U.S. wrongdoing and alleged war crimes.
The U.S. authorities say he is not being prosecuted for the publication of the leaked materials but for the criminal act of conspiring with former U.S. Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to obtain them legally.
Mr Assange has now spent more than 13 years battling various legal cases in Britain, spending seven of these holed up inside the Ecuadorean Embassy in London after skipping bail and the last five in a maximum security jail.
His brother, Gabriel Shipton, said he was suffering “rapidly deteriorating physical and mental health”.
“I’m astounded by the decision. The case should have been thrown out,” Stella Assange, who married the WikiLeaks founder in prison, told Reuters.
“Julian remains at risk of extradition, at risk of the death penalty, at risk of 175 years in prison.”
While Mr Assange’s lawyer, Jen Robinson, said, based on previous cases, U.S. assurances “aren’t worth the paper they’re written on,” Nick Vamos, the former head of extradition at Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service, said it should be straightforward for the U.S. to provide the guarantees.
If the High Court does uphold the extradition decision, Mr Assange’s final challenge will rest with an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to block it.
(Reuters/NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Niger govt unveils N100 million CEmONC equipment to reduce maternal, newborn deaths
Niger government has inaugurated N100 million worth of CEmONC equipment at selected general hospitals across the state to reduce maternal and newborn mortality.

Showbiz
Wladimir Klitschko pays tribute to ex-partner Hayden Panettiere
Former Ukrainian professional boxer Wladimir Klitschko has paid an emotional tribute to his ex-partner, Hayden Panettiere, following the actress’s demise at the age of 36.

Africa
EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR
The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

World
Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka
The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Anti-Corruption
Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre
The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.






