UK declines to deport Ike Ekweremadu jailed for organ harvesting, calls Tinubu’s govt untrustworthy to enforce sentence

The UK government has declined to deport Nigeria’s former deputy speaker, Ike Ekweremadu, convicted and imprisoned for organ harvesting in 2023, over raging concern that he would walk free and not serve his sentence if he returns prematurely to Nigeria.
As President Bola Tinubu’s administration grows desperate to appease the South Easterners and secure their votes for his 2027 re-election bid, the Nigerian leader sent envoys to the UK to beg for the premature release of Mr Ekweremadu under the pretext of deportation, pleading that he should be allowed to complete his sentence in Nigeria.
Minister of foreign affairs Yusuf Tuggar and attorney-general of the federation Lateef Fagbemi delivered the president’s message but the UK rejected the request, asserting Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government remained unconvinced that the organ harvester wouldn’t evade justice when he lands on Nigerian soil.
“A source at the MoJ has confirmed the request was rejected,” UK Guardian broke the news on Monday. “It is understood the UK government was concerned that Nigeria could offer no guarantees that Ekweremadu would continue his prison sentence after being deported.”
“The UK will not tolerate modern slavery and any offender will face the full force of UK law,” UK Guardian cited the source as saying.
“Any prisoner transfer is at our discretion following a careful assessment of whether it would be in the interests of justice,” the newspaper reported, quoting a government official.
Mr Ekweremadu, 63, was handed a nine-year, eight-month sentence for luring a trader from Nigeria to the UK to harvest his kidney for his ailing daughter, Sonia. His wife, Beatrice Ekweremadu, was similarly sentenced to four years and six months.
Having served half of her sentence, she was released earlier this year and has since returned to Nigeria.
The man, whose identity the UK Metropolitan withheld, said he was not informed he would be donating his kidney.
He told the police and later court that Mr Ekweremafu offered him a job in the UK and he thought the initial medical tests were routine for the job.
He later grew suspicious that his organ might be harvested without his consent and swiftly reported to the authorities, who charged Mr Ekweremadu to court.
Justice Jeremy Johnson described the trio, including Dr Obinna Obeta, hired for the procedure, as “despicable.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






