UK police officers guarding King Charles’ family downgraded for sleeping on duty

The UK Metropolitan Police have placed more than 20 officers on restricted duties over allegations that some fell asleep and left their posts unattended while guarding Windsor Castle, one of King Charles III’s official residences.
Twenty-three officers from the Royalty and Specialist Protection command, saddled with the responsibility of protecting the royal family, were served notices of misconduct, according to the London police.
While 21 were on restricted duties, the remaining two will not be deployed to royal residences, as the “urgent investigation” launched last month by the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) is still ongoing, the police said.
“The alleged behaviour falls below the high standards expected of officers, particularly in frontline protective roles,” a spokesperson for the force said.
The allegations were uncovered after a Sun newspaper report that some police officers had left their posts unattended and others had slept.
The police said investigations were ongoing at other British royal residences.
Windsor Castle, located in Berkshire, England, hosts official ceremonies and international state visits. U.S. President Donald Trump was hosted at the castle last year.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.






