Wednesday, August 19, 2026

UN chief calls for immediate release of abducted schoolgirls, says attacks heinous

The Buhari administration continues to receive flaks for growing insecurity across the country.

• February 26, 2021
António Guterres
António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations (Photo Credit: Twitter)

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for the immediate release of the school girls kidnapped on Friday in Zamfara. 

The UN chief in a tweeted Friday night:

“I am appalled by the abduction of more than 300 girls during an attack on a secondary school in Nigeria today.

“Attacks on schools are a heinous violation of human rights.

The girls must be released to their families immediately & unconditionally.”

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported the abduction of at least 300 school girls at the Government Girls’ Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata-Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State. 

The abduction came a few weeks after school over 340 boys were abducted by bandits in Kagara, Katsina- President Muhammadu Buhari’s home state.. 

Bandits had days ago also attacked a secondary school in neighbouring Niger state seizing 29 students and school administrators. 

The Gazette exclusively reported that the government paid N800 million via negotiators to the bandits but Niger State governor, Abubakar Sani-Bello blocked the move, causing a stalemate in the process.

The Buhari administration continues to receive flaks for growing insecurity across the country. 

Just as abductions and insurgency activities are rife in the North, ethnic tensions arising from farmers-herders clashes threaten the unity of the country in the South as well as among ethnic minorities in the nation’s middle belt.

The president rejigged his service chiefs penultimate week after years of clamour against their incompetence. The new service chiefs had had no time to settle down before the latest escalation of abductions among other security challenges.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.