Friday, August 21, 2026

UN laments worsening humanitarian crises in DRC

The report stated that testimonies gathered from the mission so far included harrowing allegations concerning the impact of the conflict on civilians including children.

• June 30, 2026
United Nations
United Nations

The United Nations has lamented the continued human rights crisis, characterised by allegations of sexual violence and unlawful killings, as well as the deteriorating security environment, marked by widespread civilian displacements, weakened public institutions, and a highly complex regional conflict, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

The UN, in a statement on Monday, said the Independent Commission of Inquiry on the Human Rights Situation in the South and North Kivu Provinces of DR Congo, raised the alarm in its first official update to the Human Rights Council in Switzerland, stating that the crisis has left civilians in affected areas vulnerable and unprotected.

In the report, the Chairman of the Commission, Arnauld Akodjenou, stated that, “The information brought to our attention points to a situation of exceptional gravity. We have received deeply troubling accounts concerning children, conflict-related sexual violence, including sexual slavery, forced recruitment, unlawful killings, arbitrary arrests, and attacks against schools and health facilities. The suffering brought to our attention calls for more than concern. It requires sustained attention, rigorous investigation and determined international engagement.”

According to the statement, the commission, established by the council to investigate alleged violations and abuses of international human rights law and violations of international humanitarian law in North and South Kivu, held over 50 online consultations and over 30 in-person meetings with a range of interlocutors.

It stated that the commission, during its first mission to DR Congo earlier in June, held extensive consultations in Kinshasa, and group meetings with individuals and group of 35 civil society organisations who made speeches.

The meetings were held with victims and survivor-support organisations, human rights defenders, civil society actors, government representatives, UN entities, diplomats and the national human rights institution. 

It however stated further that since investigations were still in the early stages, the commission had yet to take a position, make findings on the nature or scope of violations, or to draw final conclusions.

The Commissioner, Maxine Marcus, said, “The Commission does not prejudge the facts or responsibilities but we are clear that accountability begins with listening to victims and survivors, protecting their dignity, and ensuring their experiences are not ignored or erased. A victim- and survivor-centred, trauma-informed approach is not an add-on; it is fundamental to how we establish the facts, preserve evidence, and contribute to justice, accountability and prevention.”

The report stated that testimonies gathered from the mission so far, included harrowing allegations concerning the impact of the conflict on civilians, including children, as well as survivors of sexual violence, displaced persons and communities in vulnerable situations.

The commission stated that it also received reports of obstruction of humanitarian access, ill-treatment in detention settings operating outside appropriate rule-of-law safeguards, as well as threats and intimidation against human rights defenders, journalists and others documenting or reporting violations.

The Commissioner, Clément Voule, said, “No victim, witness, human rights defender, journalist or community representative should be subjected to intimidation, reprisals or retaliation for engaging with UN mechanisms, including this Commission.”

The commission reminded parties to the conflict, and of all actors exercising control or influence over territory or communities, of their obligations to facilitate safe, rapid and unhindered humanitarian access to affected populations, including women, children, persons with disabilities, older persons and others in situations of heightened vulnerability. 

It also called for humanitarian workers, medical personnel and protection actors to be granted safe access to victims and affected communities, stressing the need to place victims at the center of all accountability efforts.

It therefore called on both national authorities and the international community, to treat the crisis with extreme urgency by taking concrete steps to safeguard humanitarian corridors, protect vulnerable local rights monitors, and support credible, independent investigations.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

CEO, Olatunji ‘Whitelion’ Adebola

Anti-Corruption

EFCC arrests, arraigns Brookfield Holdings CEO Olatunji Adebola for alleged N1 billion fraud

Brookfield Group Holdings and its CEO, Olatunji Adebola, were arraigned on Thursday before Justice C. Ngozi of the FCT High Court, Maitama Division, on allegations of N990 million fraud.

Diaspora

Nigerian drug trafficker Gideon Olumoyegun convicted in UK, awaits sentencing September 3

The 26-year-old Nigerian and his gang members arrived in the UK on the same flights from Thailand via Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.