Friday, October 7, 2022

UN marks 10th anniversary of Abuja House bombing amid tears, trauma

Families and colleagues of victims recall their trauma as they laid wreaths for victims of the suicide bombing at the UN House in 2011.

• August 26, 2021

To commemorate the tenth-year anniversary of the unfortunate bombing of UN House Abuja by Boko Haram insurgents, colleagues and families gathered on Thursday to honour their memories.

The event which was organised by the United Nations and held at the UN House, Abuja witnessed lots of tears, wreath-laying, and tales of trauma.

Survivors and families of the late staff could not hold back tears as they laid wreaths in remembrance of their deceased family members and colleagues.

It was a heart-rending event as 10-year-old David Musa laid a wraith in remembrance of his late father Illya Musa.

David, who was born in September 2011 as the last of six children, one month after the bombing, failed to fight back tears as he told NAN how difficult it had been to be born and raised without a father.

For David’s mother, Sarah Illya, she said that it was not easy when she was called and informed of the demise of her husband in the bombing.

Mrs Illya whose late husband worked with UNDP said that she fainted on hearing the news and was almost delivered of baby David before his due day as she was out of consciousness for a while.

“To live without a father in a house is not easy, it is better to have a father figure – he was a very strong and hearty person who loved his children very well.

“Without him, to take care of all six of the children had not been easy,” she said.

She however said that she had been receiving monetary support from the UN on a monthly basis.

For the UN Resident Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, who spoke after a minute’s silence in honour of the departed, he said that it had always been difficult to speak in honour of his late colleagues.

He said that he only derived strength in the promise that the UN would now be cowed by violence but will always remain committed to service to humanity.

“I lack words to describe those who died in service to humanity.

“Somehow I have derived strength in the promise that we would refuse to be cowed by violence, remain defiant against terror, and recommit ourselves to supporting the Nigerian people,” he said.

He recalled that it was 10 years ago when the suicide car bomb went off, killing 23 staff, guards and visitors while injuring more than 60 others.

“Our hearts bled, it was indeed a dark day for the United Nations. We will remember them forever as truly the best of humanity.

“We will continue to remember the families of the departed and I am so pleased that we are having this ceremony in the same building that was blown apart,” he said.

He commended the federal government of Nigeria as well as the administration of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for the resilience demonstrated in rebuilding the UN House.

Minister of the FCT, represented by Zulaihu Ahmed, described the event as a sad one, stressing that the FCT administration would not be intimidated in its quest to keep the city safe.

She said that a clear demonstration of the commitment was the rebuilding of the UN House now being used for the celebration of the 10-years anniversary since the bombing.

A survivor, Chinedu Umeh, narrated an ordeal that he described as traumatic, having fallen from the second floor of the building along with the debris from the blast.

He said that after he was rescued from the rubbles, he spent over one year in the hospital before he could find his feet.

However, he recalled how he saw some of his colleagues who had just left his office on the day of the bombing, lying dead in the rubbles.

“I am short of words; it still seems like a drama. It is quite traumatic trying to remember what happened that day. It is disheartening.

“The only thing I can remember is waking up in the debris and those who saw me said I was gone, but it was God who brought me back.

“I did not know I was going to survive, I saw dead bodies everywhere. It is a lot of trauma but to God be the glory I am a survivor,” he said.

He called on the government to do more to solve the problem of insecurity in Nigeria.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Kylian Mbappe

Hot news Home top

Forbes names Kylian Mbappe world’s highest-earning footballer

Mbappe is expected to earn $128 million, displacing Ronaldo and Messi from the position for the first time in nine years.

Faith

APC expels Senator Abbo for criticising Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket

The senator was also accused of actions that pose serious threats to the peace of the APC.

Education

UNILAG appoints Folasade Ogunsola first female vice chancellor

Professor Folasade Ogunsola’s appointment makes her the 13th vice chancellor to ever head the 60-year-old institution.

Anti-Corruption

EFCC arraigns Sapphire Scents’ MD Adewale Aladejana over N12 million fraud

Among his list of clients are President and First Lady Muhammad and Aisha Buhari, Davido and former Victoria Secret model, Oluchi.

Politics

2023: Mimiko urges Nigerians to support candidates with pro-masses policies

The former Ondo governor said the ‘right leaders’ would birth good governance and usher in development for every Nigerian.

flood

Hot news Home top

24 dead as flood, rainstorm affect 18,245 in Katsina: SEMA

A total of 16,625 houses were damaged by the disasters, and 1,620 farmlands submerged in Kafur, Danja and Ingawa LGAs.