U.S. imposes visa ban on officials causing unrest in Southern Cameroon
The United States government has wielded sanctions against individuals causing unrest in Southern Cameroon.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday that travel restrictions had been imposed on individuals undermining the peace of Anglophone regions in Cameroon.
Mr Blinken said the travel ban reflects his country’s commitment to ending the lingering violence in the region.
“The United States is committed to ending the continuing violence in Cameroon and to supporting the Cameroonian people. Starting today, we are imposing visa restrictions on those involved in undermining peace in the Anglophone regions of Cameroon,” Mr Blinken said in the statement.
The crisis in the Anglophone regions of Cameroon dates back to 2016, when Anglophone Cameroonians took to the streets of Southern Cameroon to protest the domination of French in Anglophone courts and schools.
Situation escalated in 2017, when Julius Tabe led secessionist groups, in an attempt to liberate the Southern Cameroon region declared the independence of Ambazonia, resulting in violent clashes between Cameroon military and the separatist fighters.
The Southern Cameroon crisis has claimed over 3,000 lives with several other persons displaced.
More from Peoples Gazette
Sanwo-Olu has begun an investigation to ascertain the cause of Thursday’s gas explosion around Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza in Ikeja.
A new UNICEF report says a large number of malnourished Nigerian children are suffering from multidimensional poverty.
President Muhammadu Buhari says he is committed to restoring peace to Borno, telling residents that he got over 90 per cent of votes in the state.
Governor Okezie Ikpeazu says killer herdsmen and unknown gunmen are Abia’s greatest challenge.