Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Venezuela seeks emergency UN meeting after U.S. captured President Maduro, wife

The Venezuela defense minister described the U.S. airstrikes as an invasion.

and • January 3, 2026
President Nicolás Maduro and First Lady Cilia Flores
President Nicolás Maduro and First Lady Cilia Flores[Credit: WION]

Venezuela’s foreign minister Yván Gil Pinto has requested an emergency UN Security Council meeting after U.S. leader Donald Trump captured President Nicolás Maduro and First Lady Cilia Flores over alleged involvement in drug-smuggling.

“No cowardly attack will prevail against the strength of this people, who will emerge victorious,” CNN cited Mr Pinto as writing on Telegram with an attachment of the letter sent to the UN.

The Venezuelan government believes the U.S. only achieved a “partial” success of its intended goal, with Mr Maduro’s arrest. Vice President for Policy, Citizen Security and Peace Diosdado Cabello asserted that Mr Trump’s administration intended to destabilise the Latin nation and its people.

“What they tried to achieve with the bombs and missiles they launched, they only partially succeeded in doing,” Mr Cabello said. “And I say partially because they expected the people to perhaps run wildly, cowardly. No.”

Hours after several explosions rocked Venezuela’s capital, Caracas, hitting military facilities and even airports, Mr Trump on Saturday said U.S. forces carried out “a large scale strike against Venezuela” adding that both Mr Maduro and his wife were being flown out of the Latin nation.

Mr Trump scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m. to shed more light on the matter. He told New York Times that “It was a brilliant operation” given that “a lot of good planning” went into it.

In recent weeks, Mr Trump had staged an aggressive campaign against Mr Maduro, accusing him of complicity in smuggling narcotics into the United States of America. During that period, U.S. forces destroyed several vessels suspected of transporting drugs.

Also, Venezuela Vice President, Delcy Rodríguez and Defense Minister, Vladimir Padrino López, reacted to the development.

Mr Rodríguez, in an audio call to state-run VTV Venezuela, said the government was unaware of Mr Maduro’s whereabouts after U.S. strikes, demanding that Mr Trump show the world that Mr Maduro is alive.

“We demand immediate proof of life from the government of President Donald Trump regarding the lives of President Maduro and the first lady,” Ms Rodríguez said.

Mr López described the U.S. airstrikes as an invasion, adding that it affected civilians.

“This invasion represents the greatest outrage the country has suffered,” Mr López said, adding effort was underway to get number of those affected by U.S. airstrikes.

Earlier on Saturday, Mr Trump announced that Mr Maduro, was captured by U.S. forces months after declaring him wanted for cocaine trafficking to the United States of America.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.