Tuesday, August 18, 2026

We’ve learnt our lessons from Edo election, INEC says ahead of Ondo guber poll

The INEC chair assured the Ondo electorate of the early arrival of election materials and that the results would be adequately managed.

• November 4, 2024
Mahmood Yakubu
Mahmood Yakubu [Credit: Leadership News]

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday vowed to use the Ondo State governorship election to correct the glitches experienced in previous elections, especially in Edo.

“We have learnt a lot of lessons not only from the last election but also previous elections,” said Mahmood Yakubu, the national chairman of INEC, during a visit to Ondo to assess the commission’s readiness for the November 16 gubernatorial election.

Mr Yakubu, who identified major problems of the early opening of the polling units and the collation of results as challenges for the commission, explained that the electoral body was ready to improve.

“Basically, there are two challenges: the first one is logistics for the election, so polling units open promptly on election day. The second one is result management, and my assurance to voters in Ondo State is that they are going to see fast improvement in these two processes,” he said.

He assured the electorate of the early arrival of election materials and that the results would be adequately managed.

Mr Yakubu said he also visited Ondo to meet with stakeholders to ensure a peaceful, free, fair and credible election.

The INEC chairman said he would witness the mock accreditation of voters in the six selected polling units, two in each senatorial district, on Wednesday.

“One of the activities we are also going to observe is the mock accreditation of voters, which will take place in 16 polling units across six local government areas in the three senatorial zones of the state.

“In addition to other activities, we are also going to meet with the stakeholders on Thursday, and the following day, the National Peace Committee will also invite all the stakeholders for the signing of the National Peace Accord,” Mr Yakubu stated.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.