Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Why I dissolved Ondo cabinet: Gov. Aiyedatiwa

Mr Aiyedatiwa said his decision was also to reinvigorate the present administration for proper governance.

• February 1, 2024
Lucky Aiyedatiwa
Lucky Aiyedatiwa (Credit: Thecable.ng)

Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo has said the unnecessary politicking among the State Executive Council (SEC) ahead of the state’s November 16 governorship election made him sack cabinet members.

Mr Aiyedatiwa said this during the swearing-in ceremony of Olayide Adelami, the new deputy governor of the state in Akure, the state capital. 

He explained that his decision, which was borne out of response to the agitation of the state’s people, was also to reinvigorate the present administration for proper governance.

“The decision was borne out of a genuine response to the yearnings and aspirations of the people as well as the need to rejuvenate and reinvigorate this administration for maximum delivery on our mandate. 

“We also needed to minimise unnecessary distractions usually associated with cabinet members and other appointees in an election year like we have in Ondo State. 

“This is the standard practice in sane climes. It is important for the government to be less encumbered by politicking and pave the way for interested individuals to pursue their aspirations while simultaneously guaranteeing continued enjoyment of good governance to our people in the Sunshine State,” Mr Aiyedatiwa said in his speech on Thursday.

Mr Aiyedatiwa dissolved the cabinet a month after the death of former Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, who appointed the affected aides. 

The sacked cabinet members include the Secretary to the State Government, Oladunni Odu, and the Commissioner for Finance, Wale Akinterinwa, who is believed to be jostling for the governorship seat ahead of the November 16 exercise. 

Before the dissolution, the cabinet had been polarised following the feud between Mr Aiyedatiwa and Mr Akeredolu before the latter died in office. 

But speaking further at the event, Mr Aiyedatiwa hinted at his plans to return some of the sacked members of the State Executive Council (SEC) to the government. 

“Some of you (cabinet members) are coming back soon. Some people have served. Some are waiting, and some are still serving, and some of you are coming back,” he stated. 

The Gazette gathered that at least five former cabinet members would return to the government due to their loyalty to Mr Aiyedatiwa during the political crisis that rocked the state. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty. 

Nigeria Customs Service (NCS)

Economy

Apapa customs record N28 billion in single-day revenue

He attributed the latest milestone to sustained reforms and improved compliance. 

Governor Dikko Radda

Agriculture

Katsina govt begins distribution of 90,000 bags of grains to vulnerable citizens

Mr Radda said food palliatives alone could not provide a lasting solution to food insecurity. 

UNICEF and Katsina State govt logos

Health

UNICEF, Katsina mobilise faith leaders to boost vaccination, child health

He said religious leaders were strategically positioned to build trust and encourage families to embrace vaccination.

Humberto Bettencourt

Sport

Cape Verde appoint Humberto Bettencourt as new head coach

Bettencourt’s new role comes after six years working alongside Bubista.