Monday, August 17, 2026

Wike confiscates Abuja lands from Peter Obi, Atiku campaign director Liyel Imoke, others in controversial decree

The minister said the owners’ rights to the lands were revoked because they failed to develop them in contravention of the Land Use Act of 1978.

• September 23, 2023
Wike, Liyel Imoke,Peter Obi
Wike, Liyel Imoke,Peter Obi

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Nyesom Wike has confiscated land properties owned by Peter Obi, the Labour Party’s (LP) presidential candidate for the 2023 election; former Cross River governor Liyel Imoke, and several others.

Mr Imoke was a campaign director for Atiku Abubakar in the 2023 presidential election.

According to an announcement published on national dailies and signed by Olusade Adesola, the Permanent Secretary of the FCT, 165 plots of lands had their certificates of occupancy revoked, including that of Messrs Obi and Imoke.

The properties are partly located in highbrow districts and sertalite towns across the FCT including Asokoro, Idu, Katampe, Utako, Jabi, Wuye, Wuse II, Gudu, and Maitama. 

The notification states that Mr Wike cancelled the owners’ rights to the lands since they were not developed and was in contravention to Section 28(5)(a) & (b) of the Land Use Act 1978.

“The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) hereby informs the general public that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory has, in the exercise of the powers conferred on him under Section 28(5)(a) & (b) of the Land Use Act 1978, revoked the underlisted plots with names and titles as reflected in our records for continued contravention of the terms of development of the right of occupancy to wit non-development.”

Along with Messrs Obi and Imoke, other well-known Nigerians who were impacted were the late Sam Nda-Isaiah, publisher of the Leadership daily; former Minister of National Planning, Udo Udoma; and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Ufot Ekaette.

The 2005 National Conference Chairman and former Supreme Court Justice, Niki Tobi; former Attorney General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi; Chidinma Chidoka, and Paul Nwabiukwu, media assistant to Director General of the WTO, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, were also impacted.

Following his inauguration last month, Mr Wike had issued strong warning to people involved in “land marketing,” adding that the period for that was over.

He also warned that “those who have been given CofO (certificate of occupancy) and failed to develop, and they have become land speculators, the land is gone. I will revoke them.”

Download the full list of revoked properties here.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres