World Athletics to introduce repechage round at Paris 2024 Olympic
The World Athletics Council has approved an innovation to the regular competition format for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
The governing board of the global athletics body is introducing a repechage round to all individual track events from 200 metres to 1500m in distance, including the hurdles events.
“After consulting with our athletes and broadcasters, we believe this is an innovation which will make progression in these events more straightforward for athletes,” World Athletics President Sebastian Coe said.
He added, “The repechage rounds will give more exposure to our sport during the peak Olympic period and will be carefully scheduled to ensure that every event on our Olympic programme retains its share of the spotlight,” Mr Coe stated.
In this new repechage format, athletes who do not qualify by place in round one heats will have a second chance to qualify for the semi-finals by participating in repechage heats.
This will replace the former system of athletes advancing through the fastest times, denoted with the sign “q”, and the top placings in the first round heats, denoted with “Q”.
These events will now have four rounds —- round one, repechage round, semi-finals and the final, with schedules varying according to the specific nature of the event.
The new format means that every athlete competing in the events with a repechage round will have at least two races at the Olympic Games.
As the 100m already has preliminary heats before round one, the repechage will not be introduced in this event.
In addition, the repechage will not be introduced in distance events as the need for proper recovery between rounds makes the format impractical.
Final regulations of the format, including the timetable and the system of advancement in each event, will be announced well in advance of the Olympic Games.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.
A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.
Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.
“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”
The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.