YouTube offers millions of dollars to creators to edge out Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix as competition for creator-driven content escalates.
YouTube is offering creators the money to avoid working with Netflix, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing sources familiar with the matter. YouTube reportedly asked the creators to upload videos to their channels for a specific period. The report did not specify the time frame.
According to the outlet, the financial incentives would come in different forms, including YouTube funding some content and allocating portions of major brand deals to creators.
It reported that the deals had not yet been finalised, but YouTube and some creators were close to reaching agreements.
Business Insider also reported that YouTube was in talks with “a handful” of creators and that no deadline had been set to finalise the agreements, with one offer reportedly worth “in the millions” in exchange for exclusivity on the video platform.
YouTube has not responded to Peoples Gazette’s inquiry on the alleged offers.
The move comes amid Netflix’s growing efforts to secure content from top creators and licence it on its platform. This further expands competition with YouTube for creator-driven audiences.
Netflix, known primarily for acquiring films and television shows, integrated a podcast section into its streaming app in 2026.
It also signed deals with ‘The Bill Simmons Podcast’ and ‘The Breakfast Club’. Both shows were available on YouTube, but under agreements with the creators, Netflix required that they be removed from YouTube.
It has also licensed content from Ms Rachel and Salish Matter, whose content appears on Netflix and YouTube.
“We want to be in business with the best creators on the planet, wherever they are,” Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said earlier this year.
Mr Sarandos had also insisted that Netflix was superior to YouTube, saying, “I think we’re a better monetisation model.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Abuja
Abuja security guard arraigned over alleged theft of employer’s blocks worth N987,500
The Prosecutor, Charity Nwachukwu, told the court that the complainant, Usman Johnson of FHA Lugbe Airport Road, reported the matter at the Karmo Police Station on August 5.

Heading 4
14 charged in alleged cocaine trafficking ring at Penn State University fraternities
The university said it was horrified by the serious allegations against its current and former students.

Opinion
Backstory of Osun poll, and what’s next for Adeleke
Why does Adeleke insist on supporting Tinubu, despite opposition by many of his supporters, including his nephew, Davido, who cite the governor’s raw deal at the hands of the APC?

States
Delta govt trains 1,000 youths in agribusiness
The commissioner urged youths to take advantage of opportunities in agriculture.

States
Hostages held by terrorists in Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto freed
Troops of Operation Fansan Yamma have rescued 10 civilians in separate operations conducted in Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara.

NationWide
Curb migration of young health workers, medical union urges govt
Mr James urged trade unions to give young workers greater opportunities to participate in decision-making and agenda-setting.






