144 refugees, migrants dead, missing off Mauritania coast: UNHCR

The United Nations Refugee Agency said on Tuesday that 144 people attempting to reach Europe via the Atlantic route were reported dead or missing following maritime incidents off the coast of Mauritania last week.
The UNHCR disclosed this in a statement, expressing concern over the continued loss of lives in sea crossings.
“The refugees and migrants were reported dead or missing after attempting the perilous sea journey from West Africa towards Europe, highlighting the continued human cost of these dangerous routes,” UNHCR said.
The agency stated that in one of the incidents involving 143 migrants, 38 people, including two children, survived after they were rescued on July 18 and are recovering in hospital.
According to UNHCR, the migrants departed from Bufaloto, The Gambia, for Spain but were stranded in the Atlantic Ocean for nearly 25 days before some of them were rescued.
“Passengers on one of the boats rescued on 18 July had experienced particular tragedy, with 143 people reported missing or dead and just 38 surviving after nearly 25 days stranded on the Atlantic after departing from Bufaloto, The Gambia, in an attempt to reach Spain,” it said.
The UNHCR stated that another death was reported among passengers on a boat that disembarked on July 14.
The statement added that 387 people were rescued in three disembarkation operations with the support of the UN agency and other humanitarian partners in Nouadhibou, Mauritania, between July 14 and 18.
“Survivors came from various countries,” it said, noting that efforts were made to identify vulnerable individuals seeking international protection.
“This is a stark reminder that, despite sustained efforts by coastal authorities and humanitarian partners to save lives, the Atlantic route from West Africa towards the Canary Islands remains one of the world’s deadliest mixed movement corridors due to long distances, unpredictable ocean conditions, unseaworthy, overcrowded boats, and limited access to timely rescue,” the UNHCR said.
“So far in 2026, 17 disembarkations have been recorded in Nouadhibou and Nouakchott, with a total of 2,147 individuals rescued.”
It added that the number of migrants arriving in the Spanish archipelago dropped to 4,400 as of July 15, representing a 61 per cent decline from the figure recorded in 2025.
However, the agency stated that the recent incidents highlighted the risks refugees and migrants face in the world’s deadliest migration corridors as they attempt to reach Europe.
“Overall, arrivals to Europe by sea on the major routes are over 40,000 this year compared to 65,407 in the first half of 2025,” it said. “Still, UNHCR and partners have repeatedly warned that deaths and disappearances at sea continue at alarming levels, with many incidents occurring far from public attention and often resulting in entire boats vanishing.”
The agency called on governments to address the root causes of displacement and illegal migration through sea crossings and provide access to safe and legal pathways, including employment and education opportunities.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
Ogogo: Colleagues rally support as veteran Nollywood actor battles stage four cancer
Many of his colleagues, who expressed sadness over the development, sought urgent medical intervention for him.

States
Residents of Nasarawa community lament rising prices of water vendors
Water vendors raised prices due to higher operating costs.

Africa
Zimbabwe ferry accident death toll climbs to 93
A week ago, a 90-passenger ferry, loaded with over 160 passenger, capsized after it was hit by a strong wave.

States
Gov. Diri advises new Bayelsa elders council on political neutrality
Mr Spero-Jack pledged to build on his predecessor’s achievements.

Heading 4
Zelensky says Russia’s missile killed 10, injured several in Ukraine
Mr Zelensky stated that first responders already extinguished the fire, and emergency and response services continued working at the site.

Hot news Home top
Tinubu will win re-election in 2027 easily, Wike boasts
Mr Wike stated, ““2023 election was a tough one for him. Nobody knew what the government at the time was trying to do, and even governors were afraid.”






