Saturday, August 22, 2026

215 Nigerians fighting as Russian mercenaries, 25 killed, Ukraine says

According to the DIU, people from African countries are lured to Russia through fake job advertisements circulated via Facebook and WhatsApp.

• May 28, 2026
Russian troops
Russian troops used to illustrate the story [Photo credit: BBC]

Ukrainian authorities on Thursday said at least 215 Nigerians are fighting as Russian mercenaries, with 25 of them killed or considered missing in the conflict.

The Defence Intelligence of Ukraine disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

The DIU said, “Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor, born on April 28, 1992, was eliminated in combat against the Defence Forces of Ukraine in Kharkiv region near the settlement of Hrafske.”

“At present, it is known that at least 215 Nigerians have signed contracts with the Russian Ministry of Defence. At least 25 of them have been eliminated or are considered missing in action. The number of Nigerian mercenaries in the ranks of the occupation forces continues to grow as they are Africans are lured into fighting as mercenaries for Russia.”

According to the DIU, people from African countries are lured to Russia through fake job advertisements circulated via Facebook and WhatsApp.

The DIU alleged that the victims are then issued visas, one-way tickets, and promised employment, but on arrival in Moscow, they are met by intermediaries who confiscate their passports under the guise of processing documents and place them in hostels.

“Within days, they discover that no job exists, their visas have been cancelled, and they have no money to return home. They are then given a choice: deportation with debt, imprisonment, or signing a contract with the occupation army—the contents of which they often do not even understand due to the language barrier,” the DIU said.

The Nigerian government had, in February, warned citizens against fighting as mercenaries on either side in the lingering war between Ukraine and Russia.

In April, at least 16 Cameroonians serving as military mercenaries for Russia were reportedly killed on the war front in Ukraine. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ethel Caterham

World

World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday

Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

Troops of Operations Fansan Yamma.

States

24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno

The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.