U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The Pentagon on Friday fired the publisher and editor-in-chief of military news medium, Stars and Stripes, citing insubordination and an unauthorised interview appearance where they opposed editorial interference and news censorship.
The newspaper is partially funded by the Department of Defence.
“According to the notice, I am being fired for stating in a CBS interview that hypothetical censorship of news for service members would constitute a red line,” said Erik Slavin, the editor-in-chief for Stars and Stripes.“I stand by the principle that Stars and Stripes must remain editorially independent, as required by law and by the department’s own policies.”
Mr Slavin’s newsroom published a report nearly two weeks prior detailing the hardships and challenges facing the U.S. Navy sailors aboard the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln after the Pentagon extended their deployment to nine months.
In July, Mr Slavin and Ms Korte were interviewed by CBS to discuss alleged editorial interference. The TV station anchored the interview on the challenges facing military families as was reported by Stars and Stripes.
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.
Mr Lederer attributed his intention to retire to a clash between his vision for the paper and that of the Pentagon’s leadership.
Laura Korte who worked as a Middle East reporter said she was terminated “after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes – not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker.”
“It’s a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press,” she wrote.
Weeks ago, the Defence Department deployed Captain William Urban to serve as the outlet’s deputy publisher without pre-informing Mr Lederer, the publisher at the time.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.






