Tribunal: Senator Bamidele says IPOB behind presidential election mayhem in Kano, Enugu

Senator Opeyemi Bamidele has told the presidential election petitions tribunal that separatist IPOB elements were behind deadly attacks and ballot box disruptions in Kano and Enugu.
Mr Bamidele, while testifying at the tribunal in favour of his political godfather President Bola Tinubu, said the election violence was not because the government failed to appropriately secure the exercise.
The Senate majority leader was responding to a new report by the European Union election observers, who found widespread violence during the February 25, 2023, election. He was asked about the report by Livy Uzoukwu, a senior lawyer for the opposition Labour Party, and he said he was aware of it.
Mr Bamidele said the votes scored by Mr Tinubu in Kano were undercounted by thousands of votes. But Mr Uzoukwu said some of the results he presented were not legible and also asked whether or not he knew many people could not vote in Kano as a result of violence.
The senator said the violence in Kano and Enugu was caused by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, who have been on a relentless and often violent campaign for the independence of Nigeria’s South-East region. Mr Bamidele’s claim surprised many inside the court, as they wondered how IPOB could be responsible for violence in Kano when its focus has always been on the actualisation of nationhood for the Igbo-dominated region.
He did not present any evidence to substantiate his claim that IPOB elements were behind the attack in Kano, although security analysts said it was possible the group was behind the attacks in Enugu and other parts of the South-East. The group, which carried out a fresh attack yesterday in Ebonyi, had previously issued warnings against participation in the election, but they were restricted to people across the region.
Mr Bamidele, a long-time political ally of Mr Tinubu’s, said was the first witness called when the tribunal resumed hearing on Wednesday morning in Abuja. He argued that Peter Obi was still a member of the Peoples Democratic Party when he picked up Labour’s presidential ticket. Mr Tinubu’s lawyers have been arguing that Mr Obi cannot hold membership in two political parties simultaneously, urging the court to dismiss his candidacy and ability to challenge Mr Tinubu’s victory.
Mr Tinubu was declared the winner of Nigeria’s presidential election by the Independent National Electoral Commission and was sworn into office on May 29. Although Mr Tinubu argued he won the election, which was a three-way race, his public conduct and utterances suggested he has not been at ease over the uncertainties cast on his administration by the ongoing litigation over election petitions brought by Mr Obi and his PDP counterpart Atiku Abubakar.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Economy
Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG
The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Politics
Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community
Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.






