Alleged N1.85 Billion Fraud: Court remands two rural electrification officials

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court on Thursday ordered two officials of the Rural Electrification Agency’s account and finance department to be remanded in Kuje Prison custody over alleged N1.853 billion fraud.
Justice Emeka Nwite ordered Umar Musa Laraye and Emmanuel Titus Pada remanded pending their bail pleas after they were arraigned on separate four-count charges.
On June 6, the judge issued a bench warrant for the arrest of Messrs Laraye, Pada, and Henrietta Onomen Okojie for failing to appear in court for their arraignment.
The judge gave the order after Osuobeni Akponimisingha, counsel for the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), moved an oral application to the effect.
He then adjourned the matter until today for ICPC to produce Messrs Laraye and Pada in court, while Ms Okojie’s case was fixed for June 14 (Friday).
The ICPC had preferred separate four-count charges against the affected officials over allegations of misappropriation of public funds meant to provide electricity to rural communities across the country.
The anti-corruption agency sued Mr Pada as the sole defendant in the first charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/204/24.
The ICPC sued Mr Karaye on the second charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/202/24, while Ms Okojie was sued on the charge number FHC/ABJ/CR/203/24.
When the cases involving Messrs Laraye and Pada were called, Mr Akponimisingha informed the court that the matters were scheduled for them to take their plea.
The anti-corruption commission lawyer applied for the June 6 bench warrant to be vacated against them since the defendants were in court, and the judge granted the request.
After the separate four-count charges were read to them, they pleaded not guilty, and Mr Akponimisingha applied for a trial date.
But Idoko Alhassan, who appeared for the two defendants, told the court when the first matter involving Mr Laraye was heard that he had already filed a bail application on June 11 on behalf of his client.
Mr Alhassan said the application was duly served on the prosecution on Tuesday.
Mr Akponimisingha said he had not received a copy of the bail application.
The judge said the prosecution was still waiting to respond to the application. He adjourned the matter until June 20 for the bail application hearing and ordered Mr Laraye, including Mr Pada, remanded in Kuje Prison custody.
He then fixed their trial until July 10.
On June 6, the ICPC arraigned Usman Ahmed Kwakwa, also an official of REA, on a four-count charge bordering on fraud.
Mr Kwakwa pleaded not guilty to the counts preferred against him.
The judge Nwite admitted him to a N50 million bail.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory
In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

NationWide
The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses
His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.






