American College of Pediatricians demands end to gender transition of children

The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds), on Thursday, asked medical practitioners in the U.S. to take a leaf from their European colleagues to stop performing gender transition procedures described as “harmful” on minors “distressed with their biological sex.”
The group recommended “comprehensive evaluations and therapies” as replacement for instant medical procedures in minors suffering gender dysphoria — an illness where persons claim to be at discomfort because they feel differently from their birth genders.
According to Dr Jill Simons, executive director of ACPeds, the demand to stop gender transition procedures was sparked by serious worries about the impact that the medical protocols would have on minors, as evidenced by the results of years of research involving hundreds of medical professionals.
“We have serious concerns about the physical and mental health effects of the current protocols promoted for the care of children and adolescents in the United States who express discomfort over their biological sex,” Ms Simons said.
Dr Andre Van Mol of the ACPeds said that “minors cannot give truly informed consent” on gender transition because they have “developing and immature brains” and “their minds change often.”
The doctor explained that minors lack the capacity to grasp the long-term consequences of their actions, stressing that there were more honest ways to deal with gender confusion rather than the “chemical sterilisation and surgical mutilation of healthy young bodies.”
He also stressed that research showed that gender transition so far has had no impact whatsoever on reducing suicides and mental illnesses.
“Transition affirmation is not proven to be safe or effective long term. It does not reduce suicides. It does not repair mental health issues or trauma,” Mr Van Mol said.
The ACPeds executive director called on other medical associations in the U.S. “to follow the science and their European professional colleagues and immediately stop the promotion of social affirmation, puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones and surgeries for children and adolescents who experience distress over their biological sex.”
Already, the UK, Finland, and Sweden have halted gender-affirming procedures on minors, and the ACPeds urged their colleagues in the U.S. to do the same.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says
“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

Politics
‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory
In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

NationWide
The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses
His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.






