Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Anyaoku condemns killings under Tinubu administration, says insecurity has become survival crisis

He said the rate of unchecked killings and extreme poverty had become worrisome.

• May 21, 2026
Emeka Anyaoku
Emeka Anyaoku [Credit: The Guardian Nigeria]

Emeka Anyaoku, a former Commonwealth secretary-general and diplomat, on Thursday condemned the spate of killings and insecurity nationwide.

He said it had ballooned into a full-blown survival crisis under President Bola Tinubu’s watch.

Mr Anyaoku, 93, who spoke on behalf of elder statesmen under a group called The Patriots, said the rate of unchecked killings and extreme poverty had become worrisome, citing the recent abductions in Oyo and Ekiti states. 

He also called for the review of the 1999 Constitution, saying that it had become obsolete. 

According to him, a new constitution should be formulated by the Nigerian people to better reflect current realities.

“We express serious concern over the unabated killings, kidnappings, and the sacking of communities by bandits taking place in many parts of the country, including especially in the North-East, North-West, North-Central, and more recently, the South-West zones,” Mr Anyaoku said.

The nonagenarian condemned the rapidly growing number of internally displaced persons and farmers who fled their communities to seek refuge, saying Nigeria was on the brink of a food crisis.

“We are anguished that the number of people being driven into the camps for internally displaced persons, the IDPs, has been growing and that more and more farmers are unable to return to their farms because of the activities of the bandits, and that thereby increases the threat of food insecurity in the country,” he said.

He urged the government to establish a committee to make recommendations on how to handle what he described as a survival crisis.

Mr Anyaoku also urged all political candidates to focus on issue-based campaigns to address insecurity in the country rather than engaging in “personal vitriolic attacks.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.