APM marches to Supreme Court, seeks Tinubu’s removal as president

The Allied Peoples Movement (APM) has joined other aggrieved political parties like the Peoples Democratic Party and Labour Party to seek the nullification of President Bola Tinubu’s election victory at the Supreme Court.
The APM contends that the presidential election petitions tribunal’s decision of September 6 upholding Mr Tinubu as having legitimately won the election was flawed because the court only dismissed their petition on the grounds of double nomination rather than looking at the issue from the perspective that Mr Tinubu failed to choose a running mate within the 14-day window stipulated by law following the withdrawal of placeholder Kabiru Masari.
“The Appellant’s petition was not one founded solely on nomination, but primarily that the 3rd respondent (Tinubu) contested the presidential election without a lawful associate running as his Vice President,” the document APM filed at the Supreme Court stated.
It added, “That the withdrawal of (Mr Ibrahim Masari) 5th respondent and the expiry of the 14 days permissible for changing a withdraw(sic) or dead candidate under section 33 of the Electoral Act 2022, made the 3rd Respondent’s election and return invalid.”
APM argued that the tribunal was wrong to have dismissed the matter as a pre-election matter, asserting that neither sections 131 or 142 (1) of the 1999 Constitution “can be confined as a pre-election matter, as these qualifications are condition precedents to being elected to the office of President.”
The petitioner said the tribunal ruling was deeply flawed given that it focused on technicalities favouring Messrs Tinubu and Shettima while ignoring concerns about whether or not the two were validly elected.
According to the plaintiff, to be validly elected was a phrase that addressed the state of “being qualified to contest the election,” the phrase was broad enough to address concerns of qualification and disqualification, as required by law.
The APM asked the Supreme Court to re-examine the lower court’s ruling and declare Mr Tinubu unqualified to contest, rendering null and void his election victory.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.






