Brazil-Argentina abandoned World Cup qualifier to be replayed: FIFA
Global football governing body FIFA confirmed on Monday that the abandoned 2022 World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina will be replayed next month.
“The FIFA Appeal Committee has taken decisions on the appeals lodged by the Brazilian Football Association (CBF) and the Argentinian Football Association (AFA),” a statement said. “After analysing the submissions of both parties and considering all circumstances of the case, the Appeal Committee confirmed that the match would be replayed.”
It added, ”It also upheld the fine of 50,000 Swiss francs (50,200 dollars) that was imposed on both associations as a result of the abandonment.”
The match in Sao Paolo on September 5, 2021, was abandoned after only a few minutes.
Brazilian health authorities had insisted that some Argentina players had entered the country in breach of then coronavirus regulations.
FIFA did reduce a CHF250,000 fine for Brazil “with respect to infringements related to order and security.”
It also cut a CHF100,000 fine imposed on the AFA for “its failure to comply with its obligations in relation to the preparation of and its participation in the match.”
Brazil finished top in the South American qualifying competition for the World Cup in Qatar later this year with Argentina second.
That order will not change, regardless of the outcome of the June 11 replay.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
The players were absent from the team that demolished Sao Tome and Principe in last month’s 2023 AFCON qualifier in Uyo.
She solicited the support of the traditional rulers to enable the present administration to actualise its dream of transforming the state into an enviable new Niger state.
“We look forward to a successful deliberation of the labour unions today and a definite call off of the planned nationwide strike,” he said.
Mr Dan-Azumi is to take over from Wasiu Olanrewaju-Smart, who is taking another appointment.