Saturday, August 22, 2026

Brazilians protest against bill proposing amnesty for ex-president Bolsonaro

Brazil president Mr Da Silva supported the anti-amnesty protest

• September 22, 2025
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro
Jair Bolsonaro

Thousands of Brazilians took the streets in various cities across the country to protest against amnesty for ex-president, Jair Bolsonaro.

‎A crowd of protesters was seen on Sunday in various videos across social media, holding up placards as they marched across the streets, demanding that Mr Bolsonaro be denied amnesty for his involvement a coup plot against President Lula Da Silva.

‎Mr Bolsonaro was last week sentenced to 27 years in prison after being found guilty of a coup attempt on Mr Da Silva’s government, and within days of the verdict, the conservative majority Congress in Brazil had fast tracked an amnesty bill that could pardon him, leading to public resentment and outburst, although Mr Bolsonaro remains under house arrest.

‎”No amnesty.”, “Prison for Bolsonaro”, echoed amidst an infuriated crowd with some holding up placards and signs that read, “Shameless Congress,” as they expressed their opposition to a move by the Congress to protect the former Brazil leader.

‎According to the BBC, the move to seek amnesty for the ex-president, dubbed ‘banditry bill’ by critics is a proposal to allow members of Congress give their approval in a secret ballot before a lawmaker could be arrested or charged.

‎Brazil president Mr Da Silva expressed his support for the anti-amnesty protest, stating on X, “I stand with the Brazilian people. Today’s demonstrations show that the population does not want impunity or amnesty.”

‎Mr Bolsonaro alongside seven co-defendants were found culpable of conspiracy on September 11, 2025 by a majority of the supreme Court justices in Brazil for attempting to snatch power from Mr Da Silva after a 2022 presidential election defeat.

‎Mr Bolsonaro failed in his attempt due to lack of support from top military leaders in the country.

‎

‎

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.