Friday, August 21, 2026

Buhari regime to recruit 20,000 junior officers: IGP Baba

The recruited officers would serve in their respective local government areas after training.

• September 28, 2021
IGP Usman Baba Alkali
Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Baba Alkali

The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, says Nigeria will soon begin the recruitment of 20,000 junior officers.

The IGP gave the hint Tuesday evening when he paid a working visit to Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo at the State Secretariat, Agodi in Ibadan.

Mr Baba informed the governor that the Nigeria Police plans to increase its strength by recruiting junior police officers.

He said President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the recruitment.

According to Mr Baba, every local government area would benefit, and recruited officers would serve in their respective local government areas after training.

The IGP said the exercise would expand the force capacity to combat crime and embolden its community policing strategy.

Mr Baba said his working visit was to interact with the police personnel to boost their morale after the EndSARS protest.

He said the visit was to also engage stakeholders on community policing, which, according to him, is an adopted strategy of policing in Nigeria.

“We have not just started now; it has started as far back as 2004, but it has not been effectively used by both the government and members of the public.

In his remarks, Mr Makinde stated the Police Command in Oyo State had been trying its best, cooperating with the people of the state and all other security agencies.

He said the police were hostile when Amotekun was established, “because they felt that Amotekun came on board to take up their jobs and responsibilities.

“But over these few months, with the leadership of the police in the state, we have serious cooperation and the inter-agency rivalry has been reduced to the barest minimum in the state.

“We also know that this is a challenging period for the country the resources are dwindling, but we have challenges all over, especially the insurgency in the North-East, banditry in the North-West, kidnapping in the South and ethnic tension everywhere.

“So, we have to keep supporting the efforts of the Nigeria Police Force,” he said.

The governor asked for another Mobile Force Squadron in Oyo Town, promising his government would provide the infrastructure for its take-off.

He said the 72 Squadron in Ago-Are, approved by the former IGP, was assisting in addressing security challenges in the Oke-Ogun axis of the state.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌swears in seven commissioners, inaugurates BTV board

Mr Alia charged the commissioners to regard their positions as responsibilities to the people. 

Governor Monday Okpebholo

States

Nigeria still safe despite security challenges: Gov Okpebholo 

The governor thanked the organisation for its intervention in the state health sector.

Yan Diomandé

Sport

Yan Diomandé: Meet Africa’s most expensive footballer in history

After signing a seven-year deal with Real Madrid of Spain worth $144

Bolaji Abdullahi

NationWide

Atiku boycotted Peace Accord due to failures of past agreements to stop election violence, killings: ADC

The party faulted the Peace Accord Committee over Senator Francis Fadahunsi’s threat of violence.

police

States

Police nab three over alleged murder in Anambra

Mr Ikenga said that the incident occurred on August 17.

States

Terrorists invade Niger villages, abduct worshippers during Jumat prayers 

The police spokesman, Wasiu Abiodun was not available for comment.