Coastal highway flooding caused by vandalism, not construction error: FG

The federal government has said that flooding recorded on a section of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway after Tuesday’s rainfall was caused by vandalism and indiscriminate dumping of refuse.
The government said that the flooding was not due a construction failure.
The federal controller of works in Lagos State, Olufemi Dare, said this while addressing journalists on Wednesday in Lagos.
He said that videos circulating on social media suggesting that the flooding was due to construction defects were misleading.
He noted that the highway was designed with an underground drainage system, including 1.2m diameter pipes capable of channelling storm water from one end of the road to the other.
According to him, the drainage system has reinforced concrete manhole covers strong enough to withstand vehicular and human traffic.
“What we have here is not a construction error. It is man-made. Vandals remove the concrete manhole covers, break them and take away the iron reinforcements to sell.
“After removing the covers, some people dump refuse inside the manholes, thereby blocking the drainage system.
“When rain falls, the water cannot pass through, and it results in flooding,” he said.
Mr Dare said the vandalism was widespread, noting that manhole covers had been removed from Eko Atlantic through the entire stretch of the road.
He added that about 50 steel sections of the see-through fence on the corridor were stolen overnight, while seven steel traffic signs were also recently removed.
He described the development as unfortunate, adding that the coastal highway was a major investment by the federal government and must be protected.
The controller said that officials of the Hitech Construction Company, the contractor, worked until about 10 p.m. on Tuesday to clear refuse from the blocked drainage to restore free flow of water.
On security, Mr Dare said the commissioner of police in Lagos State had deployed a large number of personnel to the corridor.
He said that efforts were ongoing to clear shanties and illegal structures around the Rainoil and Marwa Junction axis, which were identified as areas where hoodlums operated.
According to him, security agencies, including a task force and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, will intensify operations in the area to address criminal activities.
He also reiterated that commercial motorcycling remained banned on the highway, warning that vehicles driving against traffic risked arrest.
“If we do not take drastic steps, we will not move forward. Coastal highway is a super highway, and such violations will not be tolerated,” he said.
Mr Dare noted that the road was still under construction and was temporarily opened in December by the minister of works, David Umahi, to ease traffic during the yuletide season.
He noted that the drainage system was designed to channel water into designated canals approved by the Lagos State government.
Meanwhile, the controller announced that the annual Access Bank Marathon would hold on the Coastal Highway on Saturday.
He said the road would be completely closed to traffic from midnight on Friday until 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.
“There will be total closure. All access points will be blocked. Motorists are advised to plan ahead,” he said.
Mr Dare added that the minister of works would visit the project site on Friday to assess the situation and give further directives.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Heading 2
2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election
Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.






