‘Corrupt’ NFF officials ruined my football career: Crayon

Nigerian singer Charles Chibuezechukwu, professionally known as Crayon, has shed light on how certain officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) allegedly thwarted his dreams of becoming a footballer.
“I tried to become a professional footballer, but it didn’t work out for me because football in Nigeria is quite dicey,” said Crayon in a recent interview with Cool FM. “There is a lot of corruption. I don’t want to mention names because it might hurt some people. They are big names – top officials.”
The singer disclosed this while recounting how he battled depression in 2015 due to his inability to secure a university admission while his friends were able to.
Failing to gain admission into the university like his peers, Crayon said he was determined to pursue a career as a professional footballer.
“It was so boring. I didn’t have anything to do, nowhere to go,” Crayon said as he recounted his ordeal while seeking adminssion. “And my footballing career at that time wasn’t really kicking off for me as well. I used to play football. I used to be a proper footballer. They called me ‘Coutinho’ in my hood. You know prime Coutinho, who played for Liverpool?”
Crayon’s aspirations led him to participate in a screening in Lagos, where he was initially selected but later dismissed by the alleged corrupt NFF officials.
The “Overloading” crooner recalled that sometime at the Surulere National Stadium, he was replaced due to financial influence, leading to his disappointment and subsequent depression.
“At a time I went for one screening in Surulere, they picked me, and they had to like swindle me and pick someone else because the person had money and connections. So, at that point, I became disappointed. I went home depressed,” he stated.
With university and football career paths blocked, Crayon turned to music in 2016 and came into the limelight in 2019 when he signed with Blowtime Entertainment, a subsidiary of Mavin Records.
According to the singer, being the first child and grandchild put immense pressure on him, especially given his parents’ financial instability.
He said coping with the challenges led him into certain vices that he refrained from discussing openly.
His debut album, “Trench To Triumph,” was released recently. The thirteen-track album features previously released hits like “Ijo (Laba Laba),” a summer anthem that resonated across social media platforms, amassing over ten million streams since its release.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR
The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

World
Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka
The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Anti-Corruption
Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre
The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.






