Friday, August 21, 2026

COVID-19 pushed me to swindle America $4.2 million, Apetu of Ipetumodu tells U.S. court

The monarch said, “COVID-19 affected all of us differently.’’

• August 20, 2025
Apetu of Ipetumodu Oba Joseph Oloyede
Apetu of Ipetumodu Oba Joseph Oloyede

A United States court has received a fresh plea for leniency from the Apetu of Ipetumodu in Osun State, Oba Joseph Oloyede, who admitted guilt in a $4.2 million COVID-19 relief fraud scandal that stunned both Nigeria and the U.S.

In a sentencing memorandum filed on Tuesday, August 19, 2025, before Judge Christopher Boyko of the Northern District of Ohio — which was exclusively obtained by Peoples Gazette — the monarch, through his lawyers, acknowledged his guilt but argued that the coronavirus pandemic was a major factor that pushed him into committing the crime.

“COVID-19 affected all of us differently. Conduct that we would never expect from ourselves or others sometimes manifested itself as we encountered a completely different society. COVID-19 is not an excuse. But it is a factor. Particularly when, as did Joseph, one had to worry that pre-existing health problems could now become fatal if the virus was contracted,” the document quoted his counsel as saying.

Mr Oloyede, 62, was arrested by the U.S Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in May 2024 after he disappeared from Nigeria two months earlier, raising concerns in his hometown of Ipetumodu where he was absent during important traditional festivals, including Odun Egungun and Odun Edi. The Gazette had earlier reported that he was picked up in Cleveland on charges of using six companies to file fraudulent loan applications under the U.S. Paycheck Protection Programme and Economic Injury Disaster Loan schemes.

Court filings showed that the monarch, who emigrated to the U.S. in the late 1990s and later earned a doctorate, had for decades maintained a clean record, working as an adjunct professor and banker before returning home to be installed as the Apetu of Ipetumodu in July 2019. His lawyers insisted that the fraud was a sharp departure from his previous life of service and responsibility, adding that he showed remorse and accepted blame for his actions.

Following his arrest, U.S. prosecutors said he laundered part of the proceeds through personal and business accounts, prompting the government to seize a Medina County property in Ohio and more than $96,000 from one of his company’s bank accounts.

He was later granted bail after surrendering both his U.S. and Nigerian passports but remained under restrictions pending final judgment.

The monarch, who is a father of six and foster parent to other children, now faces sentencing scheduled for August 26, 2025, after the court postponed an earlier hearing to review his sealed medical records.

Back home in Osun State, Nigeria, his prolonged absence has left Ipetumodu without an active monarch, raising questions about succession and the vacuum created by his ordeal. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP)

Anti-Corruption

Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring

BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.

Nigerian passports

States

Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail

A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.

Tinubu in APC dress

Politics

Nigerians will re-elect Tinubu in 2027 based on his records: APC Chieftain

Ishaku Yamawo, APC chairman in the Federal Capital Territory, says Nigerians will re-elect President Bola Tinubu in 2027 based on his administration’s recorded achievements.

Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Adeleke thanks supporters, pays tributes to Osun election violence victims

Governor Ademola Adeleke has thanked the Accord Party and supporters for his re-election in Saturday’s governorship poll in Osun.

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Economy

Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says

“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

L-R: Jordan Nyesom-Wike, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, David Adeleke, and Joaquin Nyesom-Wike.

Politics

‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory

In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”