Friday, August 21, 2026

Death toll in Ondo church massacre rises to over 50: Medical Director

Videos of the attack shared online showed several massacred bodies believed to be of church members lying in a stream of blood.

• June 6, 2022
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State

No fewer than 50 persons have been declared dead and moved to morgues following the attack on a Catholic church in Owo, Ondo state, on Sunday.

Armed herdsmen had invaded St Francis Xavier church while service was underway and opened live rounds on congregants before detonating explosives already planted in the church.

The initial death toll was 28 according to Olayemi Adeyemi, a member of Ondo House of Assembly representing the constituency, who spoke to Peoples Gazette a few hours after the carnage.

Although the authorities had yet to release official figures of fatalities, a report by Aljazeera has said more deaths have been recorded, pegging the current death toll at 50.

“A doctor at a hospital in Owo said no fewer than 50 bodies had been moved to Owo’s Federal Medical Centre and St Louis Catholic Hospital,” Aljazeera disclosed on their website.

Videos of the attack shared online showed several massacred bodies believed to be of church members lying in a stream of blood.

President Muhammadu Buhari released a statement condemning the attack hours before attending a party with members of the All Progressives Congress on Sunday evening.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Economy

Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says

“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

L-R: Jordan Nyesom-Wike, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, David Adeleke, and Joaquin Nyesom-Wike.

Politics

‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory

In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

Heap of naira cash

NationWide

The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses

His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide

How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke

“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Tinubu sitting with Atiku

Economy

Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu

“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Biodun Oyebanji

Politics

Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.