Monday, August 17, 2026

Defilement: Court dismisses Dr Olaleye’s no-case submission 

On Thursday, the judge ruled that the defendant should open his case.

• March 16, 2023
Dr Femi Olaleye
Dr Femi Olaleye

Justice Ramon Oshodi of the Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court, Ikeja, on Thursday, dismissed the no-case submission of medical doctor Femi Olaleye, who is charged with defiling his wife’s niece. 

Mr Olaleye is facing a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault by penetration. He pleaded not guilty to the charges. 

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that the prosecution team have called six witnesses before the court and closed the case against the doctor. 

On Thursday, the judge ruled that the defendant should open his case.

“Accordingly, the no case submission is hereby overruled. The defendant is now called upon to open his defence under Section 246,” the judge said. 

The judge said the prosecution team has presented six witnesses and evidence but he cannot rule based on the evidence provided. 

“At this stage, I am not to decide whether the evidence presented is believed or not. I am not to decide the credibility of the testimonies of the prosecution witnesses. 

“What I am obligated to do at this stage is to consider whether the evidence is reliable, then I can look at it candidly.”

Earlier, the defence counsel, Olusegun Fabunmi, argued that it has not been proven that the defendant committed the offence and he cannot enter into defence.

He argued that the survivor was not present for medical examination as at the time the incident happened and she was taken to the hospital five months after she had become an “adult.”

“Our point my lordship is that you should look at the testimony of PW6, the police officer clearly stated that the survivor was not produced for medical examination at the time,” Mr Fabunmi 

“Why was the survivor not produced? Why wait for five months after she has become an adult to conduct a medical examination which is not enough against the defendant,” Mr Fabunmi said. 

“We urged your lordship to dismiss the no-case submission and discharge the defendant.”

While, the prosecution team led by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP),  Babajide Martins, said that the survivor could identify the defendant 

He argued that the testimony of the doctor should be admitted because the survivor was examined at Mirabel Centre and a doctor will not visit the survivor at her residence. 

“There is no doubt about the identity of the defendant as the survivor gave account of how she was asked to suck the defendant’s penis,” Mr Martins said. 

He added that the survivor had already told the court during cross-examination that the defendant “knows her time of menstrual cycle.”

“PW2 (Survivor) gave an accurate description of the incident and she said the defendant comes into the bedroom to defile her when the children and aunty are not in the room.” 

Mr Martin said the survivor was not below 14-year old when the incident happened and she was examined by medical expert.

He stated that the defence counsel claimed that there are more witnesses and evidence to be provided. 

He added that the judge will consider the credibility of the witnesses based on the provisions of the law 

“We urge the court to dismiss the application of the defendant and allow the defendant to enter his defence,” Mr Martins said. 

The judge adjourned the case till March 29 for further continuation.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph for democracy, defeat for one-party myth: Ex-APC Spokesman

A former APC spokesman for Lagos, Seye Oladejo, described Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election in Osun as a democratic triumph.

Governor Abba Yusuf

Politics

55% of Kano’s 1,557 projects completed: Commissioner

The Kano government says it has completed 867 of the 1,557 projects executed by Governor Abba Yusuf’s administration since its inception.

President Bola Tinubu, David Adeleke, Governor Ademola Adeleke

Politics

Davido opposes Adeleke’s support for Tinubu, says ‘evil’ APC killed people over Osun governorship election

“Y’all kept it bloody n lost! Pple died! F**k yall!!,” Davido lashed at APC and its supporters.

Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Ademola Adeleke

Politics

‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares

“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.