DR Congo: Gunmen storm hospital treating Ebola patients, demand bodies of relatives

Health workers were forced to evacuate Ebola patients from Mongbwalu General Hospital in northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) after gun-wielding young men stormed the facility.
Amid gunfire, the hospital staff hurriedly tried to evacuate patients as the attackers demanded two bodies of their kin, Richard Lokudu, the hospital’s medical director, told The Associated Press.
It was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties in the Sunday attack.
“Mongbwalu General Hospital is on general alert,” he added, without providing further details.
Sunday’s incident was the third in a week in Ituri province, the epicentre of the latest Ebola outbreakcaused by Bundibugyo virus disease (BVD), for which there is no treatment or vaccine.
Last Thursday, a part of Rwampara General Hospital, where Ebola patients are cared for, was torched by family and friends of a footballer who died from the disease after health officials prevented them from forcibly removing the body.
On Friday, the Ituri provincial government banned wakes and the transport of deceased Ebola victims in non-medical vehicles to contain the spread of the disease.
Some residents of Mongbwalu, on Saturday, razed a tent set up for suspected and confirmed Ebola cases by the humanitarian organisation Doctors Without Borders.
Mr Lokudu said 18 people with suspected Ebola cases left the facility and are unaccounted for.
The Congolese government said on Sunday that 904 suspected Ebola cases had been recorded, with 119 deaths.
The body of a deceased Ebola patient remains infectious, and the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends “safe and dignified burials” to curb transmission.
Burials organised in unsafe manners have been identified as the leading cause of transmission.
The global health body also elevated the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola to “very high” nationally in DR Congo and high regionally.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






