Dubai plans to move world-busiest airport to $35 billion facility

Plans are underway to move the operations of the Dubai International Airport to the city-state’s second, sprawling airfield in its southern desert worth $35 billion.
The Dubai ruler, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, on his official X handle on Sunday, announced that the airport, which is the world’s busiest for international travel, would be moved to the new facility within the next 10 years.
The ruler attached his announcement with pictures of the beautiful design of the proposed facility which showed a curving, white terminal beside a waterside.
The Dubai ruler said, “Today, we approved the designs for the new passenger terminals at Al Maktoum International Airport, and commencing construction of the building at a cost of AED 128 billion, as part of Dubai Aviation Corporation’s strategy.’’
He said that the Al Maktoum International Airport which would enjoy the world’s largest capacity, reaching up to 260 million passengers, and “will be five times the size of the current Dubai International Airport, and all operations at Dubai International Airport will be transferred to it in the coming years.”
“The airport will accommodate 400 aircraft gates and feature five parallel runways. New aviation technologies will be employed for the first time in the aviation sector,” the Sheikh further revealed.
According to him, in the nation’s efforts to build an entire city around the airport in Dubai South, the ruler said the demand for housing for a million people will follow.
He therefore noted that the facility would host the world’s leading companies in the logistics and air transport sectors.
“We are building a new project for future generations, ensuring continuous and stable development for our children and their children in turn. Dubai will be the world’s airport, its port, its urban hub, and its new global center,” he assured.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






