Saturday, August 22, 2026

Ekiti varsity shut as students stage protest over late registration fee

The closure stemmed from the protests staged by the students over the imposition of the N5,000 levy for “late registration”.

• April 11, 2023
Ekiti State University, (EKSU) and Students protest
Ekiti State University, (EKSU) and Students protest [Punch Newspapers]

Authorities of the Ekiti State University, (EKSU), Ado Ekiti, have shut down the campus for two weeks following a protest by students of the state-owned institution. 

“The Vice-Chancellor, Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Professor Edward Olanipekun, on behalf of the university Senate, has approved the suspension of academic activities on campus for two weeks with effect from today, April 11,” an excerpt from a statement issued by the University spokesperson, Bode Olofinmuagun, read on Tuesday.

The closure stemmed from the protests staged by the students over the imposition of the N5,000 levy for “late registration” slammed on the university’s undergraduates by the authorities. 

The students had in the early hours of Tuesday blocked the campus main gates and also prevented the entry of human and vehicular movement. 

Led by the Students Union Government (SUG) President, Dotun Ogunsanya, the angry students accused the authority of not being sensitive to their plights. 

Peoples Gazette gathered that the authorities of the state-owned university had earlier announced that any late tuition payment would attract an N10,000 penalty. 

The students, however, kicked and accused the university management of unnecessary taxation. 

This, according to sources on the campus, forced the school authority to reduce the fine to N5,000.

Despite the reduction, the students were said to have again expressed their dissatisfaction, resulting in the protest. 

“No to penalty fees”, one of the protesting students said during the Tuesday demonstration at the front of the campus. 

Speaking further, Mr Olofinmuagun said the university decided to shut down the campus to avoid any student unrest. 

He noted that management has also announced the suspension of all academic activities in the institution for the period. 

Mr Olofinmuagun, however, asked parents to immediately invite their children back home since the university had temporarily been shut. 

“Any student found wandering around the university premises does so at his/her own risk,” he added in the statement obtained by the Gazette.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna

Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World

Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record

The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.

Nyesom Wike

Politics

My goal is to deliver Rivers, FCT for Tinubu in 2027; not interested in APC campaign DG position: Wike 

Mr Wike said that he has no interest in being a member of Mr Tinubu’s presidential campaign council.

Africa

Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa

The motive behind the killing of the boxer is yet to be ascertained, according to the police.

Sport

List of Premier League stars expected to shine in 2026/2027 season

Last season, Gonzalo García scored 12 goals and provided four assists in all competitions.

American Airlines

World

Passenger’s laptop catches fire on American Airlines flight

The plane, which took off from Atlanta, had 133 individuals on board.