Wednesday, August 19, 2026

#EndSARS: families still seeking justice one year after death of Jimoh Ishaq, three others

On Monday evening, dozens of people gathered at Takie Roundabout in Ogbomosho to pay their respects to the deceased.

• October 11, 2021
Oyo Police Commissioner Ngozi Onadeko
Oyo Police Commissioner Ngozi Onadeko

A year after the death of Jimoh Ishaq, Taiwo Adeoye, Moshood Abdulganiyu and Pelumi Olatunji, families and friends of the deceased are still seeking justice.

Last October, 20-year-old Jimoh Ishaq was killed by the police during the #EndSARS protest in Ogbomosho community, Oyo state.

Following a public outcry that raised questions about police brutality across the country, the Oyo police command denied Ishaq was shot during the protest.

On Monday evening, dozens of people gathered at Takie Roundabout in Ogbomosho to pay tribute to Ishaq, Adeoye, Abdulganiyu and Olatunji.

At the prayer vigil, there was an outpour of emotions over the events that led to their death.

Hussein Afolabi, lawyer for the victim’s family, said the police have refused to conduct investigation, make arrests or prosecute the officers involved in the killings.

He said the autopsy conducted on the victims revealed that their death, contrary to the police counterclaim, was as a result of gunshots.

He accused the Oyo police command of obstructing justice because of their refusal to conduct investigations on the matter so the perpetrators can be prosecuted under the law.

Mr Afolabi said it is worrisome that the Oyo police command “moved on” without taking any statement from the family members of the victims

Accusing the Oyo police of spending time and resources to obstruct justice, Mr Afolabi said, the command has failed to investigate and prosecute the crimes.

Mr Afolabi said a court suit has been filed by the families to probe the police, with a request to the court that the police should release the names of accused police officers.

He said when they have the reports it will be cross-checked with evidence gathered from the witnesses so they can file a criminal complaint against the offenders.

He said despite promises made by the Oyo state government and vice-president Yemi Osinbajo that the perpetrators will be held accountable, no action has been taken.

Mr Afolabi called on the Attorney General of Oyo State to look into the matter and ensure that the matter is not swept under the carpet by the Nigeria Police.

Last year, the #EndSARS street protest was conducted to end police brutality across the country, and the disbandment of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).

During the protest, SARS was disbanded, however, many Nigerians are still being extorted, raped, tortured, and killed by officials of the Nigerian police.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.