Wednesday, August 4, 2021

#EndSARS: Lagos panel admits autopsy reports of 99 corpses recovered in October 2020

The Lagos state #EndSARS judicial panel has admitted the post mortem results of all 99 bodies deposited at the Lagos morgue between the 20th and the 27th of October 2020.

• July 10, 2021
Lagos State Judicial Panel
Lagos State Judicial Panel

The Lagos state #EndSARS judicial panel has admitted the post mortem results of all 99 bodies deposited at the Lagos morgue between the 20th and the 27th of October 2020.

A consultant pathologist to the Lagos State Government, Professor John Obafunwa, presented the results in line with an order given in June.

The Chairman of the panel, Justice Doris Okuwobi admitted the documents in evidence after the counsel to #EndSARS protesters, Yinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN), moved for its admission.  This was done with no opposition from the other interested parties present. 

In June, Ms Okuwobi had ordered Mr Obafunwa to present the post mortem reports he had conducted on all 99 bodies before the panel. 

During the cross examination, Mr Olumide-Fusika had noted that Mr Obafunwa disclosed that the bodies were picked from different parts of Lagos between October 20 and 27, 2020.

“I want to prove to this panel that the claim that only three dead bodies were brought in from Lekki is not true,” Mr Olumide-Fusika had said.

The Chairman of the panel made the order after the pathologist testified that the coroner’s office conducted post mortem autopsies on 99 bodies during the period.

He had also testified that of the 99, only three bodies were labelled as #EndSARS Lekki. 

The identities of all three male victims still remain unknown, though they were confirmed to be from the Lekki tollgate where soldiers opened gunfire on the protesters. 

The protesters were singing the national anthem and demanding an end to police brutality when soldiers arrived in trucks and opened fire. The attack was carried out shortly after a curfew announced by the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu. 

The incident had been live streamed by celebrity DJ Switch, on Instagram. DJ Switch had counted seven persons who had died before her device went off, later updating the figure to fifteen

Initially, the Nigerian Army denied being at the protest ground, stating that videos and photos from the scene were “doctored”, but later admitted their presence and claimed that shots were only fired into the air to enforce curfew.

More from Peoples Gazette

SSS and Igboho's relatives

Politics

Igboho: SSS produces 12 Yoruba Nation agitators in court

SSS on Wednesday produced the 12 detained Yoruba Nation agitators accused along with Sunday ‘Igboho’ Adeyemo, before the Abuja Division Federal High Court.

Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi Governor, Enugu State

Health

Strike: Enugu doctors give Gov. Ugwuanyi conditions

Enugu resident doctors say they have taken a 10-point resolution for implementation by the Enugu government through the teaching hospital authorities.

Africa

Niger Republic among Nigeria’s best friends: Buhari

Buhari says the Niger Republic is among Nigeria’s “best friends” in a congratulatory message to its president Mohammed Bazoum on the country’s anniversary.

Bandit

States

Attackers killed six in latest Kauru onslaught: Kaduna govt

Governor Nasir El-Rufai has condemned Monday’s attack on Ungwan Magaji, Kigam, Kisicho, and Kikoba in Kauru LGA, leaving six people dead.

SSS Officiers

Rights

SSS to probe attack on journalists at Igboho associates’ trial

Overzealous SSS officers had attacked journalists’ in court to report the trial.

Economy

Customs intercepts smuggled vehicles, rice in Katsina

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has impounded 13 vehicles, 314 bags of imported rice, and other goods, valued at more than N60 million, in Katsina.