#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu invites Falz, Mr Macaroni, Seun Kuti, others for “peace walk” next month
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos has invited top entertainers, youths and human rights activists who were the forerunners of last years’ #EndSARS protests to join him as he leads a “walk for peace” next month.
He also asked the state commissioner of police, stakeholders, youths, media and civil societies to join in the historic march that will facilitate a better society.
Mr Sanwo-Olu called on Folarin Falana (Falz), Debo Adebayo (Mr. Macaroni), Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalinks), Adetoun (Just Detoun), Seun Kuti, and police officers Hakeem Odumosu, and Yinka Egbeyemi.
“In December, I will be leading ‘A WALK FOR PEACE’ to herald the healing of our land,” the governor said in a statement made available to journalists on Tuesday.
Addressing journalists, he asked those named to “Join me on this historic march for our dear Lagos. Nobody will build this city for us. Let us show the world who we are. We are Lagosians. a people of great renown, driven by the irrepressible spirit of Lagos.”
The governor said to forestall a repeat of incidents of police brutality, the state “will facilitate better communication channels between the youths and the state’s security operatives in order to tackle issues of police brutality before they become intractable.”
He said the state, through the ministry of justice, will establish an easier means for young people to make formal complaints on human rights violation issues.
“Going forward, dear Lagosians, we shall facilitate better communication between our youths and the state’s security machinery to resolve issues before they become intractable.
“We will make it easier for our young people to initiate formal complaints on human rights violations through the Ministry of Justice,” Mr Sanwo-Olu said.
According to the governor, “We will also improve the coordination between the state government and the security agencies, including the police and the military.
“In this vein, we are studying how to improve security policy formulation, information sharing, and clarifying rules of engagement in times of social unrest,” he added.
On compensation, Mr Sanwo-Olu said, “Just as we have established a mechanism to compensate all those who lost homes, businesses, and livelihoods to the violent destruction of October 2020, we shall also establish a detailed procedure for the just compensation of citizens with verified claims of police brutality committed during the protests.”
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.
Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.
The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.
The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.
Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.
EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.