‘Enough Is Enough,’ Ademola Lookman hands in transfer request to leave Atalanta

Nigerian football international Ademola Lookman has officially submitted a transfer request to leave Atalanta after what he described as “months of broken promises” and “poor treatment” from the club.
In a statement shared on his Instagram page on Sunday, the forward appreciated the club’s fans for their support but said the time has come for him to move on.
He disclosed that the club is now rejecting a reasonable offer for his transfer, despite having previously reached verbal agreements with Inter Milan that he would be free to leave.
There were existing interests from other clubs in the January window, including Liverpool and PSG, who were keen on acquiring the attacker.
Lookman stated that he had worn the shirt with pride and represented the club with passion, “even in moments where things haven’t been easy behind the scenes.”
“That’s what makes writing this so hard. I have loved every moment, but feel that now, after three wonderful years in Bergamo, it is the right time to move on and experience a new adventure. There have been numerous clubs approached Atalanta in the past, and I have previously always stayed loyal.
“However, myself and the ownership of the club have been in agreement that now is the right time, and the club was clear with me that if a fair offer came in, they would allow me to move.
“Despite now receiving an offer in alignment with what I believe had been discussed, sadly, the club is blocking the opportunity for reasons I do not understand.
“As a result, and after many months of broken promises and what I feel has been poor treatment towards me as both a human being and as a professional footballer, sadly, I feel I have no choice but to speak out for what I believe is right, and I feel that enough is enough. I can confirm I have now handed in a formal transfer request,” Lookman stated.
Lookman added that he had tried to put the team and fan first despite “the extremely difficult moments I’ve endured, many of which have remained private and confidential.”
The Peoples Gazette reported recent developments surrounding the departure of the attacker, with Atalanta rejecting a €45 million bid from Inter Milan for the player, despite earlier discussions that he would be allowed to leave if a fair offer was submitted.
The club is also said to be considering a sell-on clause owed to RB Leipzig, his former club, which complicates transfer negotiations.
Lookman has scored a total of 32 goals and provided 16 assists since joining the club in 2022.
He won the UEFA Europa League with Atalanta in 2024, ending the club’s 61-year-long trophy drought with an incredible performance, scoring a hat-trick against Bayer Leverkusen, and was named UEFA Europa League Final Man of the Match.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Davido opposes Adeleke’s support for Tinubu, says ‘evil’ APC killed people over Osun governorship election
“Y’all kept it bloody n lost! Pple died! F**k yall!!,” Davido lashed at APC and its supporters.

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.






