Thursday, September 29, 2022

EURO 2020: We were professional in our coverage of Eriksen incident, TV director say

Broadcasters such as ZDF in Germany and BBC in Britain had been sharply criticised for showing the official TV footage from Copenhagen for several minutes.

• June 13, 2021

The director of Euro 2020 international television broadcast of the match between Denmark and Finland has defended himself against criticism of allegedly inappropriate footage following the collapse of Denmark’s Christian Eriksen.

“We showed the sadness and the despair of the people, the players, the staff and the spectators,” Jean-Jacques Amsellem told French paper L’Equipe late on Saturday.

“We also felt the unity in this moment of greatest concern. That had to be conveyed.”

Eriksen went to ground, free of contact from any opponent, in the 43rd minute of Saturday’s match and received emergency treatment on the pitch.

He was then transferred to the hospital, where he is in stable condition.

Amsellem had been in constant contact with UEFA.

“We were told not to show a close-up of him and also not to show the cardiac massage,” he said.

“There is a slow motion of the scene where you could have really seen very clearly how he falls. But I immediately told my team not to stop on him.”

“With more than 30 cameras in the stadium, we could have shown him up close, but we didn’t do that at any point,” the director said.

Broadcasters such as ZDF in Germany and BBC in Britain had been sharply criticised for showing the official TV footage from Copenhagen for several minutes.

ZDF sports director Thomas Fuhrmann told dpa that the incident had been handled “responsibly.”

“I cannot criticise UEFA’s international direction either. When the extent of the serious injury became apparent, there were no close-ups or other inappropriate images,” Fuhrmann said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Lagos

Sanwo-Olu bans MC Oluomo’s rival transport union RTEAN in Lagos 

He added that suspension became necessary to prevent further acts of violence within the state.

SP Benjamin Hundeyin

Hot news Home top

Police arrest 22 suspects over Lagos motor park violence

The crisis erupted over control of the new park created under the Bridge at Iyana-Oba, Ojo area.

World

Iranian government arrests journalist, cracks down on protesters

Security forces used live ammunition, shotgun pellets and other metal projectiles, Amnesty said.

Health

Kanu Heart Foundation conducts free heart screening in Enugu

Kanu said that the foundation was using the day to create awareness on the prevention and treatment of heart-related problems.

Lagos

Civil Defence confiscates 21,600 litres of stolen petrol in Badagry

“The products were kept in barges…with the motive to reload them all into a boat and proceed on their journey to the Republic of Benin.”

NCPC

Faith

Pilgrimage absconder arrested upon return to Nigeria

Mr Ezekiel was among the six pilgrims who absconded in Israel during the 2019 Easter Pilgrimage.