Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Ex-President Jacob Zuma barred from contesting South African election

Mr Zuma, 81, served as South Africa’s president from 2009 until 2018, when he had to step down over allegations of corruption.

• March 28, 2024
Jacob Zuma
Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma

Jacob Zuma, South Africa’s former president, has been barred from participating in the country’s general election scheduled for May 29. 

The country’s electoral officials disclosed this on Thursday but did not give an official reason for the decision. 

The election is expected to be the most competitive vote since the advent of democracy in 1994.

“In the case of former president Zuma, yes, we did receive an objection, which has been upheld,” said the electoral commission head, Mosotho Moepya. 

Mr Moepya added that the party that nominated Mr Zuma for the election had been notified of the decision. 

The development has further raised tension in the run-up to the polls.

He has until April 2 to appeal against the electoral body’s decision. 

Mr Zuma, 81, served as the country’s president from 2009 until 2018, when he had to step down over allegations of corruption. 

In 2021, the former South African head received a 15-month prison sentence for contempt of court. 

However, the country’s law states that anyone sentenced for longer than 12 months is not eligible to run for election. 

Pundits have suggested that his 2021 conviction and jailing for contempt of court appear to be the reason for his disqualification from the exercise. 

Many also believed that his backing of the uMkhonto we Sizwe (MK) party had been seen as a possible threat to the governing party, the African National Congress (ANC).  

Mr Zuma’s new party had been named after the ANC’s former military wing, and he sees himself as the true heir to the ruling party’s revolutionary roots.

The party had wanted the country’s electoral body to deregister MK, but this request was rejected. 

Already, the ANC is on the brink of dropping below 50 per cent of the vote for the first time since it came to power at the end of apartheid. 

The party, which had been in power for three decades, is begging for support amid a weak economy and allegations of corruption.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nick Kyrgios.

World

Australian Tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine

Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Pregnant women and UK emblem

Hot news Home top

Beware of fertility treatment, surrogacy, ‘miracle baby’ scams in Nigeria, UK warns citizens 

“If you’re considering fertility treatment in Nigeria, exercise caution,” it said.

Adeleke and his deputy with the certificate.

Uncategorized

Osun: INEC presents certificate of return to Gov. Adeleke, deputy

The governor called on those who contested the election against him to join him in moving the state forward.

Jason Ardy (Credit: FACEBOOK)

Heading 4

Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000

The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Chidimma Adetshina

Diaspora

South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027

“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.