Family buries 21-year-old footballer who died day he was to travel abroad

Kelechi Okafor, a 21-year-old footballer who died the morning he was to travel abroad to advance his career, was on Saturday buried by his family.
Kelechi Okafor was in August set to move to Europe to further his career but collapsed and died during training in the Ipaja/Ayobo neighbourhood of Lagos the morning before his departure.
The deceased was chosen along with three other teammates to fly to Azerbaijan in Northern Europe to advance their football careers.
During the match that claimed his life, Mr Okafor hit his head on a stone while landing from an aerial ball contest and never rose back up.
He was given first aid by the coaches, after which they rushed him to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The late Okafor began his career as a right-back/defensive midfielder with the Lion Heart Academy in Ayobo, Lagos state, where he played for three years before getting the opportunity to travel to Europe.
Speaking to Vanguard on the incident, his brother Uche said, “It is unfortunate that Kelechi died on the same day he was supposed to travel. His flight ticket had been purchased, the flight was scheduled for 8:45 p.m., and he died before noon.
“Kelechi is the last born in our family. Our parents are alive, and they are devastated by the news. Kelechi will be buried on Saturday, September 4, 2021.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.






