G7 pledges tougher crackdown on migrant smuggling, human trafficking networks

G7 leaders have pledged to prevent and dismantle migrant smuggling and human trafficking networks, describing their activities as “serious transnational crimes” that undermine border control.
The leaders made the commitment in a joint statement on Wednesday after the three-day 2026 G7 summit in Évian, France, where they discussed health, security, and economic issues.
Reaffirming earlier positions adopted in Apulia in 2024 and Kananaskis in 2025, the G7 said its renewed commitment builds on continued efforts to tackle organised illegal migration.
“We are committed to tackling organised illegal migration. We remain committed to fighting against all forms of abuse and exploitation of migrants, ensuring protection of the most vulnerable, including refugees and forcibly displaced persons,” the G7 said.
The leaders noted that the activities of trafficking networks expose victims to life-threatening risks, adding that Kenya and the Republic of Korea support the declaration and would partner in efforts to combat illegal migration.
“Accordingly, we task our relevant ministers to continue taking robust action to further deliver on the G7 Action Plan to Prevent and Counter the Smuggling of Migrants,” the group said.
The G7—Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, the UK, and the U.S.—acknowledged ministers’ efforts to impose sanctions and other restrictive measures against online migrant smuggling networks and said it would deepen cooperation with platforms to detect and remove content related to such activities.
“They also reaffirm their commitment, first expressed under Canada’s presidency, to strengthen cooperation with online platforms and relevant actors to detect, prevent, and remove online content linked to smuggling operations,” the group said.
The G7 also pledged stronger cooperation with countries of origin and transit to dismantle networks and prevent organised illegal migration.
The leaders also vowed to strengthen efforts to enable people to live and thrive in their own countries, including improving economic conditions and protecting rights and dignity.
“We note the obligations on states to accept the return of their own nationals and to enhance processes to ensure timely, safe, lawful, and dignified return of those with no legal right to stay in our territories.
“Respectful of national competencies, we take note of new lawful approaches explored by some members with third countries to strengthen migration management,” the G7 added.
The G7’s statement comes amid renewed efforts by the European Union, of which France, Italy, and Germany are also members, and U.S. President Donald Trump, to crack down on irregular migration.
Since returning to office, Mr Trump has signed agreements with Ghana, Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Eswatini to accept deportees from the United States.
Earlier this month, EU member states also agreed on a new migration policy aimed at expediting the return of irregular migrants and allowing the establishment of return hubs in third countries.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.






